• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Willow, my Rosy Bourke

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

I thought I would post a few pictures of Willow, my Rosy Bourke. I had heard that bourkes don't make great pets, don't play with toys, aren't very fun and are best as "aviary birds". Nothing could be further from the truth with my Rosy Bourke Willow. She loves to sit on shoulder and hang out with me. She wants to make friends with the budgies, but I am hoping my new Linnie will be a good friend to her eventually. She is oh so quiet with her teeny tiny little cheeps. I have to strain to hear her when she is on my shoulder. I am just smitten with her. I love my bourke and I hope that more people discover them and appreciate them for the excellent pets that they are!

Vicki

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I LOVE all those colors!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
WOW! Willow is amazingly beautiful!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I used to have Yogi - A rosy bourke as well. He was everything I ever wanted in a bird! He would sit with me for hours and be just as content to sit on my shoulder or chase my fingers on the mouse and keyboard. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants a starter bird or a quiet bird. You are right about their teeny tiny little chirps. So cute and small. Alas, he had a short life, but he was highly spoiled and loved for the little time I did have him for.
This was my favorite pic of him:

And this proof they do play with toys (this was taken the night before he passed):

I hope to find another soon, but they are rare in my area and the breeder I got Yogi from sold her pair and I don't know who to - she won't tell me.

One quick caution - Linnies are not the best birds to pair up with any bird of another species, especially not a rosy. Linnies tend to be mean to other species and a bourke is just too gentle of a bird to fight back.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I used to have Yogi - A rosy bourke as well. He was everything I ever wanted in a bird! He would sit with me for hours and be just as content to sit on my shoulder or chase my fingers on the mouse and keyboard. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants a starter bird or a quiet bird. You are right about their teeny tiny little chirps. So cute and small. Alas, he had a short life, but he was highly spoiled and loved for the little time I did have him for.
This was my favorite pic of him:

And this proof they do play with toys (this was taken the night before he passed):

I hope to find another soon, but they are rare in my area and the breeder I got Yogi from sold her pair and I don't know who to - she won't tell me.

One quick caution - Linnies are not the best birds to pair up with any bird of another species, especially not a rosy. Linnies tend to be mean to other species and a bourke is just too gentle of a bird to fight back.
Yogi was very cute, very very pink! I hope you find another one soon.

Vicki

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Willow is beautiful!!! :heart:

Ruby T

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marne
@babybreau: ... Wow, you must have run into a strange Linnie! I have both Bourke's and Linnies (and an almost 23 year old Cockatiel). They all have their 'designated' cages ... but they seem to decide amongst themselves who is sleeping where and with whom at night. Frequently I will find one of my Bourke's cuddled up to a Linnie at night. In over 5 years of allowing them to be free at the same time, I have never had any problem arise between a Linnie and any other bird except for a pair of Budgies (no longer have any Budgies) ... and they bullied everyone else, even though they were (technically) the smallest of the group. I even had one Bourke's hen decide to lay her clutch in a nestbox which was set up in a Linnie cage ... she (and a Linnie friend, not her mate!) successfully reared the clutch with other Linnies living (well, sleeping anyway) in the same cage.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My Linnie does fine with my other birds and is particularly close to Autumn, my GCC. No problems with Argyle the linnie here!

@babybreau: ... Wow, you must have run into a strange Linnie! I have both Bourke's and Linnies (and an almost 23 year old Cockatiel). They all have their 'designated' cages ... but they seem to decide amongst themselves who is sleeping where and with whom at night. Frequently I will find one of my Bourke's cuddled up to a Linnie at night. In over 5 years of allowing them to be free at the same time, I have never had any problem arise between a Linnie and any other bird except for a pair of Budgies (no longer have any Budgies) ... and they bullied everyone else, even though they were (technically) the smallest of the group. I even had one Bourke's hen decide to lay her clutch in a nestbox which was set up in a Linnie cage ... she (and a Linnie friend, not her mate!) successfully reared the clutch with other Linnies living (well, sleeping anyway) in the same cage.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What a beautiful little bird! :heart:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I don't have her anymore:( When I had her and Ivan here, she was fascinated with him and always wanted to go to his cage. For whatever reason, Willow, her only, made him react really aggressively and frantic. He would growl and crawl around his cage super fast. I would cover the cage, but I was still worried. One of my really good friends who has a one footed GCC had always wanted a Rosy and so I decided to let Willow go live with her. It was really difficult, but I was worried about her being safe. After I lost Ivan she was going to give her back to me, but she had become SO attached to the handicapped GCC and he to her that we felt bad. At least I get to see her:) She is a GREAT bird and a really social and friendly little girl. I don't understand why people always say that Bourkes are not good pets. I think they are awesome.

What a beautiful little bird! :heart:

redmoss

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Claudia
When I was seeking a friend for my splendid, a man who breeds both splendids and Bourkes, touted the Bourkes as being much friendlier. He really raved about them, so much so, that if one were to become available...

Twitter09

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I'd be careful with Willow and your Linnie. I've heard of Linnies biting and injuring Bourkes. It would be best to only have them out together when you are supervising - and of course cage them separately. Will you let Willow become fully-flighted again? My 2 Bourkes are flighted and have stayed tame. They love to fly and know their way around my house, including how to return to their cages.

I have both Bourkes and a Splendid Parakeet. The Bourkes are definitely steadier and faster to tame. Still they are more timid than a Conure. They are happy to sit on your finger or arm but Bourkes don't like being petted or stroked very much.

Last edited:

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
I'd be careful with Willow and your Linnie. I've heard of Linnies biting and injuring Bourkes. It would be best to only have them out together when you are supervising - and of course cage them separately. Will you let Willow become fully-flighted again? My 2 Bourkes are flighted and have stayed tame. They love to fly and know their way around my house, including how to return to their cages.

I have both Bourkes and a Splendid Parakeet. The Bourkes are definitely steadier and faster to tame. Still they are more timid than a Conure. They are happy to sit on your finger or arm but Bourkes don't like being petted or stroked very much.

Do you know of any breeders on our forum for Bourke's or Splendids or Finches?