• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

will the upper beak grow back? how long could it take to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
IMG_0916.jpg i am wondering if the little Black Headed Caique i have chosen will regrow it's beak and how long it could take. the Breeder has never experienced this before and does not know. s/he is about 9 weeks old. s/he kinda smiles :) I have a couple more pictures if i need to post. He said it was a recent injury. s/he must have gotten their beak stuck in cage bars and gotten scared. I also noticed that this baby perches and uses the beak just like my other caique does. I am worried about my other older 5 month old, who has a full beak but has some leg abnormalities, and whether she could or even would hurt the newer smaller BHC baby. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks! Im sure it goes without saying i fell in love which is why im asking

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I'm not sure, but I've seen a GCC with a beak exactly like that and it hasn't grown back. But he does fine.. eats fine... lives with his mate fine.
Can't see it being a problem.

And what a doll, so cute! :heart:

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
I have no idea, i'm just here to comment that... oh my goodness.... SO CUTE!! So unbelievably cute, I just can't bear with the cuteness. Look at that smile!! AHHH! I just want to smuggle s/he in hugs, kisses, and scritches!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
i originally wanted 2 females but this one's sex is unknown and i fell hard in love :heart: and s/he cuddled with me straight off the bat and perched well and looked up at me with those sweet little eyes. I think that even if it is a male i might have to get him... or still her :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
No clue about the beak but s/he is a cutie pie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No clue, I believe there is a Quaker with a beak like that too on this forum... Fagan I believe.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Cute baby.

Seems to me the breeder should be responsible for having that checked out by a certified avian vet.

There are beak issues which can be corrected if dealt with in a timely fashion.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Even if it doesn't grow back, the baby will be fine and adapt. There are a few members on here who have fabies with beak injuries like this who thrive :)

mosemom

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I can't believe the impish grin!! i do hope that his beak will be correctable as he matures. Good Luck! He is precious!:heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It will take years for the beak to grow longer and he will probably need a vet to help reshape the growth to make sure it does not overgrown on one side and undergrow on the other.

I had a cockatiel baby maimed by a lovebird while she was still in the nest. Took off Diva's upper beak almost to the cere. Her parents abandoned her, of course, and I ended up handfeeding her for 18 months till she completely weaned. Diva was 11 years old when she died in a tragic accident, but her beak never grew more than a quarter inch long. Luckily it was long enough she could pick up food and swallow it and she was able to groom her feathers. She could not hull seed or chew on wood or anything like that and lived mainly on Harrisons HiPotency Fine and finch sized Roudybush as well as soft foods, well cooked pasta and grated veggies. She behaved like a normal tiel, climbed in her cage and interacted with the other tiels. Diva had a very good life and I miss her terribly.

I also had my Senegal attack a cock cockatiel and bite of the curve of his upper beak. Benny slowly grew back the curve in his beak but I had to have my vet trim the growth every three months because it was uneven. The entire curve didn't grow back, but it was still growing when he died of kidney failure last year.

My vet said Diva's beak did not grow much because of where it was injured. Benny's growth was a normal part of the beak which is constantly growing thoughout the life of the bird and that is why his seemed to be regrowing. I don't think your bird's beak will regrow much, but he still will be able to live a full and happy life.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Leslie's Parrotlet Maya has a similar looking beak too and I believe she is just fine. Billie Faye also has a Sennie with a similar beak as well. If you can look beyond the aesthetic of it, I know I can that face is irresistable honestly! :heart:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
i only worry because this baby will be housed in a double flight cage with my other 5 month old WBC and my hope is that they will be best buddies :) if not that is fine too. I LOVE this baby already but i just am hopeful that it will be a normal beak because caiques use their beaks for EVERYTHING!!! The more i read other peoples stories i feel more and more comfortable even if it never grows back. i just want to know if anyone out there has a bird that grew a large portion of the beak back ?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The truth is that birds born with and acquiring a handicap very young in life never miss what they don't have. This is seen in rehab of handicapped children as well. They grow up accepting what they can and cannot do, or find ways to do what they want to do in different ways.

Last edited:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Yes Maya my little parrotlet has a beak that looks just like that. Her beak and three of her toes on one foot were bitten off by her mommy:-( her beak has never grown back and she is about three now. She does not think she is handicapped and gets around just fine. I adore her cute little face...so special.

Her lower beak does continue to grow upward though which may mean a possible trim...the trim was only necessary once with Maya as usually the over growth will break off on its own as she plays, eats and chews.

This caique baby will do fine:)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I think a variety if perches is always good...your baby will learn to get around just fine...with Maya she had a little more of a balancing act to do as she had one stub foot with a hook for a toe...but she is fearless. It helps that she is flighted too.

Shh had a tough time with hard food...really has to work at it...she can slowly take pieces of an almond but she really works hard for it! I give her a lot of soft foods as well as a smaller mix...I sprinkle a little harrisons mash over her food.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.