• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Will she ever stop building her nest????

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
20180617_151336.jpg

Good grief, she's super invested in this clutch!
I have to clean her cage.... somehow, but the entire floor is just..... nest.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Probably not if she still has the makings for one. What does she do with no nesting materials?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Probably not if she still has the makings for one. What does she do with no nesting materials?
She goes looking for them. She's chewed the paper lining on her cage, tore up dreamcatchers, posters, leather bags, toys....

She's already had her eggs, and I've never seen her build a mega nest like this. Her last one was maybe 1/10th of the size, despite there being more eggs and more readily available material. Most of her nest is posters....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I guess you could try the things we usually suggest like going to bed one hour earlier, no soft warm foods or petting. Change around things in the cage and the location.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I guess you could try the things we usually suggest like going to bed one hour earlier, no soft warm foods or petting. Change around things in the cage and the location.
Tried that. I mean, I'd rather not change too much so she'll sit on this infertile clutch and not try to make a fertile one. The issue is that she just doesn't want to stop building. It's just amazing how big her nest is. I had to clean out the cage and could only fit less than half in the large basket I had for her.

Though I have tried all of that. I've changed her cage, moved it about the room, not given her anything soft or warm, and I've been putting them to bed at 7:30 instead of 9.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Lately, Buddy won't stop building nests! He is a boy, and besides the constant nest building, he's normal in every way...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Lately, Buddy won't stop building nests! He is a boy, and besides the constant nest building, he's normal in every way...
You're so lucky! Triss is back to being hormonal and crazy. I can't even touch her head without her getting very amorous, if you know what I mean. And it sucks because she's full of pin feathers and wants to be scritched, but I don't like her that way.

I mean dang, she will not stop it. She's already building another nest and trying to coax every man, woman and bird in this house into making more eggs with her no matter what I try.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I mean dang, she will not stop it. She's already building another nest and trying to coax every man, woman and bird in this house into making more eggs with her no matter what I try.
Well, Buddy did have a short, unrequited "love affair" with Elvis. :jawdrop1: :rofl:

He still plays with his toys and destroys them...the only thing now is that if it's soft enough., it gets put into the nest as building supplies. We've basically given up for the time being...if he wants to build nests, go right ahead...o_O

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Well, Buddy did have a short, unrequited "love affair" with Elvis. :jawdrop1: :rofl:

He still plays with his toys and destroys them...the only thing now is that if it's soft enough., it gets put into the nest as building supplies. We've basically given up for the time being...if he wants to build nests, go right ahead...o_O
Aww, poor Buddy! :hehe: Triss has the opposite problem, really. Steven and Bull and Freddie and Goku like to hang out on her cage. I haven't seen the later two feed her, but it's only a matter of time...

If only she'd share the luck with guys like Buddy. But she's a greedy gal.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
If she is a continual egg layer you could try one of those hormone shots that the veterinarian's use.
Just to give her body a break from laying perhaps?
They supposedly last from 3 months to 6 depending on the bird.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If she is a continual egg layer you could try one of those hormone shots that the veterinarian's use.
Just to give her body a break from laying perhaps?
They supposedly last from 3 months to 6 depending on the bird.
I'm worried about the side-effects, but at this point, I'm tempted to go for the shots. We did have two months without egg laying, but she had a relapse. I'm definitely going to at least ask my vet about it and discuss the pros and cons of the shots.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Sherbie will make a nest all over the cage, too. (I've tried everything suggested as well, to no avail) I just pick it up with two dowels (my fingers would be missing if I used hands) and keep clearing it away. Currently Sherbie's not laid any new eggs in over a month, so I'm just counting the blessings.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Sherbie will make a nest all over the cage, too. (I've tried everything suggested as well, to no avail) I just pick it up with two dowels (my fingers would be missing if I used hands) and keep clearing it away. Currently Sherbie's not laid any new eggs in over a month, so I'm just counting the blessings.
Luckyyyyyyyy. I think Triss might have a new clutch soon. She's been looking for new hiding spots and her bum's gotten rounder again.

I kind of hope she actually has a fertile clutch this time. Having to take care of the babies might keep her from trying again for a while. I think it's just the season, since she didn't try to lay eggs for most of the springtime and only started up again in the summer. (at least, that's what I'm hoping this is.)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
LOL, hardly lucky... before she was barely putting any break between clutches. Both of my birds have been extra hormonal pretty recently. I keep seeing Rupert getting groovy. I took away the small balsa blocks and so now he does his thing on the side of his cork perch and anything else he thinks will work... he even tried to use something that probably would've given him a splinter in his keester if he'd kept at it. :facepalm:

Sherbie seems to want BIG clutches. Her last one was 11 if I remember correctly.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
LOL, hardly lucky... before she was barely putting any break between clutches. Both of my birds have been extra hormonal pretty recently. I keep seeing Rupert getting groovy. I took away the small balsa blocks and so now he does his thing on the side of his cork perch and anything else he thinks will work... he even tried to use something that probably would've given him a splinter in his keester if he'd kept at it. :facepalm:

Sherbie seems to want BIG clutches. Her last one was 11 if I remember correctly.
I just caught her trying to seduce little miss Ripley today.... As if the boys aren't enough...

And now she's.... getting frisky... with her Minnie Mouse pillow.... ugggggh, I guess that's gonna have to go. It's a shame because Steven uses it as his bed.

:blink: At least it's a soft toy... I'm not even gonna ask what he was using....

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I just caught her trying to seduce little miss Ripley today.... As if the boys aren't enough...

And now she's.... getting frisky... with her Minnie Mouse pillow.... ugggggh, I guess that's gonna have to go. It's a shame because Steven uses it as his bed.

:blink: At least it's a soft toy... I'm not even gonna ask what he was using....
A foot toy. The wood was chippy pine squares with extra splinters since he chewed on them already.