• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will it work?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I have a HQ flight cage HQ Black Aviary Flight Cage with Stand, 32" L X 21" W X 60" H | Petco Store coming and no bird to put in it, since Ernie is going home before it comes in. It was a great deal ($124.48 with taxes and free shipping) and Hubs agreed that we should keep the cage because we may not get another deal like it again. At least we will have a spare if something happens to our current cages. I have been thinking about the best way to utilize the cage and not just have it sitting around in the box taking up space.
:idea::idea: I have not managed to get my aviary done that I planned to build this year, so I can make an outdoor cage for them! Kind of a stacked cage set up. I can take the bottom grate (I don't use them in their current cages, so I have 2 more if I need it), use stainless "S" hooks to hang it horizontally in the middle section of the cage. Place a piece of Plexi glass on top of the grate to keep them from fighting between the bars. I would clamp the "S" hooks to keep Rho and Rheems from getting hurt on them. I have found these: Shop The Hillman Group 25-Pack S-Hooks at Lowes.com and it says they can be clamped down easily.

This would give them both a much larger cage to enjoy the outdoors and I am only hauling one cage in and out. Since the HQ's have 2 access doors (one upper and one lower), it will not be a struggle to get them in and out. Plenty of room for perches, bowls, and movement. Easy to roll in and out the door. No feather damage from being in the little travel cages. It could also serve as a little hospital type cage if they ever needed the smaller space in case of imbalance issues.

Question for @JLcribber, the construction wizard: Would it work? Do you have a better suggestion on materials or way to make it happen?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like it will work fine. Once the grate is in I don't see the need for Plexiglas. The grate just needs to be covered (cardboard. Perhaps paper over the card board)

If you get a thick enough piece of Plexiglas you don't need the grates at all. It will hold itself. Still needs to be covered with paper.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thank you. Had not thought of cardboard over the grate. It will save some money that way!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Clever idea.

Lo_