• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will It Live? **sad update**

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Our goose Ava has been laying on some duck eggs and within the next week they should be hatching. Anyways she must have accidentally broken the outer shell of one of the eggs. I was unable to get to it until today, about three days after I noticed that it was broken. I was going to throw it out today but when I picked it up it was breathing and I could feel it's little body. The inner film is still in tact and it has lived without an outer shell for three days. Do you guys think it will hatch, and have a full life? Should I do something or just leave it alone? Ava doesn't seem to mind it and hasn't tried to throw it out of the nest. Please help!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Personally,after it has been like that for 3 days,I would leave it alone and hope for the best:hug8:

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
What if it can't hatch when the day comes? Could he suffocate in the egg? Since the outer shell isn't holding it up?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you did something to repair the shell damage, you would increase the likelihood of needing to assist hatching. If the egg was in an incubator, there are things you can do using Elmer's glue and some gauze to patch the missing shell. However, that makes it more likely the chick will have problems hatching because the glue and gauze patch will be hard to chip through. I think there is a decent chance the chick will be fine as is so long as more damage isn't done. My quaker parents used to like to take chips out of the egg shell before babies hatched. Some of those I took away from the parents and artificially incubated and the chicks hatched out just fine a week later. Shell damage does increase the likelihood of bacterial infection and dehydration. But sometimes they can withstand a remarkable amount of damage and still be okay.

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
:sad5: This morning I went out and found that he had died in the night. Since their are two mothers trying to sit on one nest they got a bit rowdy and knocked the egg out of the nest. He was barely breathing when I got out their and very cold. I put him back under but he died and they kicked him back out. Little Pip did not make it but they are still laying on four eggs. I cracked the egg open to see what he would look like and it appears they started laying on eggs earlier than I thought. They will be hatching any moment now. Very far along. I also discovered that he looked exactly like his older brother when he hatched last year. Little Pip would have been a handsome little boy. I buried him with all the other great pets I've had and I hope he rests in peace with Pippyand her sister Rosy Up in farm heaven. :sorrow:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm sorry for the loss. :sadhug2:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for the loss of the baby. Its always a little heartbreaking to open up an egg and see a perfectly formed chick inside. Sometimes that happens even when there isn't any damage to the shell.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Matt

Beth In Alaska