• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will an older sibling feed a younger sibling?

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
1 week ago I brought home a baby handfed budgie. He had been weaned for aprox 2 weeks before bringing him home and he has done well. Yesterday I went back to get a second hand fed baby. I did not like the two that were ready to go home so she showed me one, the only one left that was available and he hadn’t been moved yet to the regular baby cage. She told me he had one feeding that morning but that he was eating on his own. I expected that I would wait two weeks to get him but she said I could take him home and to call her if there was a problem. My plan was to keep them in separate cages at first but after doing some reading last night decided it would be best for the little one to be with his brother. I assume they are the same clutch because they are both the same color. I assume they are about 3 weeks a part in age. I do know she had two clutches. This is a pet store owner, not the breeder, at least not the budgie breeder.

The baby seems to be doing okay. He is eating on his own. His poop is a little waterery but otherwise looks okay to me. I cleaned the older birds cage, lowered the perches and put the little baby with the older baby. When he saw the other bird he started crying to be fed. He didn’t do this when I handled him and I watched him eat his fill of seeds prior to moving him to the other cage. So he is crying to be fed and I watch as the older baby goes from the seed bowl to the new baby and looks to be feeding him. This goes on for several trips back and forth. Baby now seems content as the older sibling preens around babys beak. Is this possible? Also baby’s latest poop looks normal and he is now napping. Sorry this got long. I am new to babies. This is amazing to me. I am assuming that as long as baby acts normal, continues to eat, explore and poop that he is fine.

Thank you all for your wisdom and experience.
P.s. now they are both contently preening.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the bump.
I have talked with the pet store where I got the birds and apparently it is not unusual for the older babies to feed the younger babies in the clutch. The two little birds are doing well and are very happy and content together. I am so glad that I made the decision to put them in the same cage sooner rather then later.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes! It is common. Glad they’re doing well.