• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Wild Parrots in Brownville, Texas

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
These are red crowned parrots. Amazona viridigenalis. There are probably several common names.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Nope, not monks/aka Quakers. Birders use a lot of different names for parrots than what we use. If you check eBird it will give you dates and locations of where they've been seen in McAllen. I have a video of them somewhere bathing in this huge fountain near dusk. I'll try to find it.

Had to look it up. It was on 10th Street between Violet and Dove.
I would love to know what they are. I have seen Quakers in Hidalgo, TX and near Dallas as well. I guess Hidalgo is not really McAllen but it is nearby.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Our local Audubon Society has a parrot bird watching field trip the first Saturday in December. We usually see 36 to 40 different kinds of wild parrots including a huge flock of severe macaws and blue and gold macaws. Mostly we see yellow headed or orange winged amazons occasionally a lilac but never red crowned. Will tell my friends at the Shubot Exotic Bird Center at Texas A & M about your flock. Go to www.cityparrots.org and use their search engine to see all the articles about wild parrots. We have in the US estimates of 35,000 thousand to 75,000 according to parrot expert Bill Pranty and Mr. Garret. There is a town in Texas that put up artificial nest boxes for their wild parrots in a park - forgot the name but you can look it up in city parrots.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Our local Audubon Society has a parrot bird watching field trip the first Saturday in December. We usually see 36 to 40 different kinds of wild parrots including a huge flock of severe macaws and blue and gold macaws. Mostly we see yellow headed or orange winged amazons occasionally a lilac but never red crowned. Will tell my friends at the Shubot Exotic Bird Center at Texas A & M about your flock. Go to www.cityparrots.org and use their search engine to see all the articles about wild parrots. We have in the US estimates of 35,000 thousand to 75,000 according to parrot expert Bill Pranty and Mr. Garret. There is a town in Texas that put up artificial nest boxes for their wild parrots in a park - forgot the name but you can look it up in city parrots.
That's cool! I will check out the site. Where are you? Which Audubon Society has the field trip?

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
It's www.tropicalaudubon.org and I'm located in Miami Florida where are bird club has collaborated with the Boy Scouts, Florida Power and Light and the University of Florida to put up artificial nests to protect baby parrots from the Africanized bees that have killed many baby wild parrots. Last year I posted the Miami Herald article about our club saving the baby wild parrots.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It's www.tropicalaudubon.org and I'm located in Miami Florida where are bird club has collaborated with the Boy Scouts, Florida Power and Light and the University of Florida to put up artificial nests to protect baby parrots from the Africanized bees that have killed many baby wild parrots. Last year I posted the Miami Herald article about our club saving the baby wild parrots.
Thanks! It sounds like you all are doing great work!