• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild bunny nest, concerned about flooding

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So as I've mentioned in another thread, there's a rabbit nest in my yard and last I saw, there were in fact babies in it.

We're due for some heavy rain, and I really want these little ones to make it. Anything I can do to try and prevent flooding?

I'll try my best to get out there in the next couple hours and take a peek to see if the bunnies are still in that hole.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Okay I had a quick look, I saw 3 set of ears but there could be more bunnies, those were just the ones I saw on top.

They were born on the 17th, so tomorrow will be one week!

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not sure, but I'd be worried, too. Part of me would want to put something above them to keep the rain out, but that wouldn't help with flooding & I'd worry about it upsetting momma.

Could some kind of berm help?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hmm, maybe but it's kind of in the middle of our yard and I don't want to disturb it too much. I do have a glass table we've been putting over the nest when our grass is cut, and that hasn't seemed to deter the mama. Maybe I'll set that over it in hopes of keeping off some rain.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could put a umberella over the entrance exit to the warren that you know about there will be another couple of ways in or out though.
The parents will move the young out if needed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Guessing most rabbits behave very similar regarding nests/warrens so I’m basing my comment off what I know about the ones we have here..

They usually have quite extensive tunnels with many exits and different spots throughout to huddle in.
Unless you are actually due to be properly flooding I personally wouldn’t worry.

They dig downwards at the entrances then back upwards so that the water fills the tunnels but not the areas they huddle in.
You might be able to find a good description or diagram of a rabbit burrow on Google.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They dig downwards at the entrances then back upwards so that the water fills the tunnels but not the areas they huddle in.
So even if it flooded there'd be air pockets (hopefully large ones!) til the water subsidies?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So even if it flooded there'd be air pockets (hopefully large ones!) til the water subsidies?
Yes unless it is a serious flood that means you can’t even see the ground where their burrow is. They usually have an awful lot of exits and many spots throughout their tunnel system to either safely flee or wait the water out.
All burrowing animals use the same kind of design that starts off going down at the entrance then back up so unless the whole ground is going to be under water they’re usually absolutely fine.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
From what I can see of the burrow, it's just a slight hole. The bunnies are pretty close to the surface, there's a little bit of dry grass and fur covering them. Google says cottontail rabbits (which these are) typically burrow 4-7 inches deep.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
From what I can see of the burrow, it's just a slight hole. The bunnies are pretty close to the surface, there's a little bit of dry grass and fur covering them. Google says cottontail rabbits (which these are) typically burrow 4-7 inches deep.
That sounds like what we had a lot of around our old apartments. It didn't look like they had anywhere to go to me, but I was hoping I was wrong.

I like your table idea!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just had a google looks like they generally live in bush and hedgerows and dig a small burrow when having babies.
A raised cover over the opening of the warren may help.
They breed rappidly and live for approx 16 months so there babies will mature pretty quickly and may already be able to look after themselves.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They must be quite different to the ones we have here. Omg they make a mess of the land with all the tunnels they dig.
Hope you find a solution you’re happy with :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Glass table sounds good. How about a large tarp over the table with sides being covered by tarp? Rocks on top if it gets windy.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Putting your table over it will be nice for them :)

I've always heard that cottontail babies, if their shallow burrow is filled with water, will float on their backs like otters.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I's set the table over them & let Momma deal with her babies. Momma will move them if need be. They are pretty smart. The nest is usually about a foot long, 4-7 inches deep & lined with dried grass & rabbit fur. We often get them in our yard.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad the flooding didn´t happen. Fingers crossed it doesn´t :fingerscrossed:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I like the umbrella idea & also that you're checking in on them. :)

Yes, the rabbits that are throughout Europe & in Australia are European wild rabbits, originally from the Iberian peninsula, but spread elsewhere & domesticated by the Romans. Cottontails won't dig very deep at all, usually just a hollow, but that might make it easier for the mother to move the babies in a flood.