• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wild bird in bad condition on my patio

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
my household has bird feeders up, so we get lots of wild birds on our patio.

the past couple days, we’ve been seeing a little pine siskin (i think) who is injured or sick. she seemed to be holding up ok until a little bit ago, and she’s now huddled up by herself next to the outside wall of my house.

i have a bird (african red bellied parrot) and a cat inside my home and i’m afraid to bring the wild bird inside because A) i don’t want my pet bird to get sick, and B) the cat would NEVER leave her alone, if he knew she was in the house he’d be scratching at the door to get in and see her.

i don’t want her to die, especially if there’s something i could do to help her. she seems like she’s in pretty bad shape, though. she’s holding her wings weird, earlier she was flying and landing weird, and every time i’ve seen her today she’s been panting/breathing hard. the wildlife care center is closed already, and who knows how she’d take the stress of taking her there anyway?

but i feel like there’s gotta be something. should i put a box with a towel out for her or something? it’s so cold outside tonight. even if she’s going to die, is there some way i can at least make her comfortable for now?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can you give us an idea of your location (approximate) and is there any chance you could put her in a box higher up so that she couldn't be reached by ground foragers? Possibly put something like millet in the box with her?

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure if I can get a box very high up... The way the exterior is set up, the only thing I can think of is hanging a box from where the feeder is, or tying it to a small tree that's out there. I'm not sure if either of those are very viable or helpful...?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
is there a rehab for wild birds in your area? if so call them as soon as possible. in the mean time, a small box would work to protect it from elements. if you have garage you could put the box and bird in there. just make sure that you either use gloves that you can throw away or wash your hands and change your clothes after you handle the bird.

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
There is a rehab and they would probably take her but unfortunately they're closed right now and refuse all after-hours drop offs. If she still needs help when they open, I'll definitely be calling them.

For now, we put a washcloth in a little box and set it next to her in her corner. We tore off one side of the box so she can get inside easily because we didn't want to physically move her into the box, because I'm 99% sure she has a physical injury rather than an illness (from observing her during the day, probably wing or leg/foot injury) and we were afraid of hurting her (as well as the potential trauma of being touched by people).

We don't have a garage, unfortunately. Just an outdoor storage closet, which... I don't know, it's not heated or anything and I'm not sure what the air circulation is like in there, having not been in there with the door closed myself.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
There is a rehab and they would probably take her but unfortunately they're closed right now and refuse all after-hours drop offs. If she still needs help when they open, I'll definitely be calling them.

For now, we put a washcloth in a little box and set it next to her in her corner. We tore off one side of the box so she can get inside easily because we didn't want to physically move her into the box, because I'm 99% sure she has a physical injury rather than an illness (from observing her during the day, probably wing or leg/foot injury) and we were afraid of hurting her (as well as the potential trauma of being touched by people).

We don't have a garage, unfortunately. Just an outdoor storage closet, which... I don't know, it's not heated or anything and I'm not sure what the air circulation is like in there, having not been in there with the door closed myself.

If you're that sure that it's physical and not an illness, I'd bring her in. Forget the cat scratching at the door, just bring her in for the night until you can get her to a wild life center.

As for the bird carrying other stuff that might spread to your bird, I'd just do it like I would when quarantining any new pet bird. Take extra precautions, like changing clothes after handling, and place her in the farthest room as possible from your bird, preferably disconnected with the air that your bird gets.

If anything, maybe you have a nearby neighbor or friend who'd be willing to house her till you can drop her off at the wild life center? That'd be the best situation for everyone.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there an ER vet that would take her and transfer her to the rescue? We have them here in Arizona, or...keep her in the laundry room or bathroom till the rescue opens?

Parhelion7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kylee
Sorry for the late update, it's been a busy evening. I did finally find an emergency vet that's open and licensed to take wildlife, but unfortunately she didn't make it. I think the injury, plus trouble breathing, plus the trauma of riding in a box in a car (a 25~ minute ride, although I don't know when exactly she passed) was just too much.

Thank you all for your help, though.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for trying, at least she passed warm and safe.:hug8:

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Sorry little birdie didn't make it, but thank you for helping.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry.

Matt

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
my household has bird feeders up, so we get lots of wild birds on our patio.

the past couple days, we’ve been seeing a little pine siskin (i think) who is injured or sick. she seemed to be holding up ok until a little bit ago, and she’s now huddled up by herself next to the outside wall of my house.

i have a bird (african red bellied parrot) and a cat inside my home and i’m afraid to bring the wild bird inside because A) i don’t want my pet bird to get sick, and B) the cat would NEVER leave her alone, if he knew she was in the house he’d be scratching at the door to get in and see her.

i don’t want her to die, especially if there’s something i could do to help her. she seems like she’s in pretty bad shape, though. she’s holding her wings weird, earlier she was flying and landing weird, and every time i’ve seen her today she’s been panting/breathing hard. the wildlife care center is closed already, and who knows how she’d take the stress of taking her there anyway?

but i feel like there’s gotta be something. should i put a box with a towel out for her or something? it’s so cold outside tonight. even if she’s going to die, is there some way i can at least make her comfortable for now?
PAWS in lynnwood is open everyday. The wildlife rescue part is at least.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry but thanks for trying.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name