• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wild bird flew into window - need help fast

clicketty

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashlyn
My heart dropped after school today when I was told that a little bird had flown into the window and was in critical condition. My mom did everything right, she carefully picked the little one up and put him in Rin's travel cage (don't worry, Rin is no where near him and I won't interact with him until I'm clean) cushioned with a couple of towels and put him into the garage.

I'm currently in the garage with the little bird's cage next to me. He is breathing, but I can't tell if it is too fast or slow for a little bird. It doesn't seem like he is having any trouble but I can't be sure. Eyes are closed, and I was told that his little leg twitches and kicks every once in a while. I tried to open up the cage door to sneak in a few seeds but his leg started to kick so I stopped.

If there is anything I can do (aside from call a vet) please tell me. I'm not too sure I can do anything except for wait, but I'll keep you all posted if he wakes up. I'm usually not an emotional person but I am choking back tears whenever I look at the little one. I hate seeing birds like this as I'm sure all of you can relate.

Here he is
IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0336.JPG

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
There's not much you can do but keep it warm and safe while you wait. I've had birds recover after being down for several hours after a window collision, so just give it time. Try not to pester it - keep it in a quiet, dark area so that it doesn't become overly stressed if it comes around. Make sure that you thoroughly sterilize the travel cage afterwards.

Good luck, fingers crossed for the cutie.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Keep it covered, warm and in the dark if possible to keep it calm. It can take a while for him to come to but once they do, they're usually ready to go. Looks like a wren or warbler. If you can, check out his nares without handling him too much, just to see if there's any blood.

noice

Real Name
Anna
That looks like a brown thrasher maybe? It's build looks a bit off though.
Keep him warm and in a dark place. Maybe call a wildlife center and ask for advice?

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
Called a wildlife center. They said this often happens and just to keep him safe and warm. I suppose we wait.
There's a lot of twitching. He managed to flip himself over (unconsciously, major body twitch) and I'm not seeing any sort of exterior injuries.

Major question: is there any sort of position he should be placed in? On his belly? Back? Side? What will help him breathe better?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
agree^^ warm, dark and quiet place. preferred on his belly and if needed prop him in. use basket that you get berries in and line with paper towel.

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
Would it be smart to set up a lamp? It's not specifically a heat lamp but it gives off a noticeable amount of warmth.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually prop them up on their belly by making a little nest with paper towels in a small (not real deep) box. I usually shield them from the elements but I don't confine them to the indoors. When they're feeling up to leaving, they just leave.

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
I would keep him outdoors but it is unusually cold for California today and I've seen hawks out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for helping him. Hope he makes it. Quiet and warmth are very important. You can put a small shallow tupperware bowl in the cage and line that with paper towels and put him in there (inside the cage) or a small box as recommended above. You can put a heating pad under part of the cage for warmth.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
I've tried to roll him over onto his belly or close enough to that, but he goes through major twitch streaks and convulsions. I don't want to put him under any more stress while his body is fighting to stay alive. I'll keep put and walk away for a bit. Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. I'll get back to you in a bit. :shocked6::shocked6:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, best to keep him quiet. let him have time to heal. hope he feels better soon.

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
Well the little one is still breathing but nothing new to report. The leg spasms are the strangest thing though. It looks almost like when you hold a small bird in your hand and their legs just kick around frantically. :(

Really hoping this little guy pulls through and if there are any broken bones I really hope that I will be able to take him down to rescue center or vet...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
yup, it takes time. we have beautiful crows at the farm that have white or silver feathers in their wings. Uncle put up plexi glass & frames on the front porch so we could sit out there bug free. one of silver winged crows hit the plexi glass head on (actually broke the frame the plexi glass was in) we rescue him quickly. he was dazed & hurt pretty badly we thought. I got big box and some newspaper. I rolled up one section of the paper and propped him against it. closed the box and put him in the barn office. by the next day he was awake but wobbly. I gave him water and let him be. by that evening he was up and raring to go. we took him outside to the pine grove where his friends hang out and released him. he just need rest.