• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why parrots?

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
Well..quite honestly, I was not drawn to parrots...and I never ever thought I was going to be a parrot/bird person. My boyfriend and I went out one day...and I knew he had had parakeets before. We spontaneously decided we could get a pet together. I asked him if he wanted a turtle and he said no, and we already had tarantulas. Then we stumbled upon birds and decided we would get Kirk. After we got him, I fell in love. I know spantaneous pet ownership is looked down upon, but that was about 2 years ago and I was not as mature as I am now. Ava (one month later) was also spontaneous, but she taught me a lot and we had better pet planning after her death. Point is, becoming a parrot person was pure accident for me. But I am so glad it happened. :) (WHY CAN'T I SPACE MY POST??) Edit: Just kidding! Okay, when I was younger I always wanted an African Grey parrot. I just knew they were soooo smart! Then in 2010 I met Charlie, a Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo, at a local pet store. He was so funny! He would raise his wings up and i'd go behind him and stick my hands up under his feathers and scratch him real good. Then one time we were up there he said 'Wonderbread' for the first time. He was great. :) He got sold after about 3 months of him being in the shop. So I guess I always liked and wanted parrots, but I didn't think I would fall in love with my littles. :p
Well, 'tiels sure are endearing. They're just so good-natured and sweet! It's no wonder you fell in love. :) I'm in love with Greys, too.. still learning all I can though. =)

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Both sides of my family have always had Amazons. My mom's father had a big green one named Lupita, and when she laid an egg it was major drama! They also had swans in a fountain. My dad hand raised 2 Cuban Amazons, had to leave them behind in Cuba after the Revolution, but finally brought them home with the rest of our family during the Mariel boatlift. We also had Cuquita, the BFA, who was like Wasabi to everyone except Dad, and my aunt had an M2. We also had a hobby farm with fancy chickens my dad liked to raise. I spent maybe 7 years without a bird in my life, and like it much more with them in it.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
I grew up with my Moms Amazon... He was around before I was born and is still kickin' today... Sinbad never cared for anyone but my Mom however I am greatful to him for the early life lessons on bird handling and bird behavior. I was always fascinated by anything with wings. Birds, bats, moths, butterflies... The freedom that flight offered these creatures filled me with both envy & curiousity. When I was 16 my mother and I had a dreadful fight and I was sent to live with my uncle in Phuket Thailand. That is when my interest "peaked". The native birds were stunningly beautiful, comical, and intelligent enough to manipulate tourists & locals alike. I began researching birds... The rest is history. It also repaired my mom & i's relationship a bit too because we now share a common interest. My love of Moths developed there aswell... I had never seen brightly colored moths, more beautiful than butterflies, as big as my head until I went there. I owe a great deal of my passions in this life to the year spent on that island... And for that, I am eternally greatful.

Alex92

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Alex
Honestly I have helped raise quite a few wild baby birds, and that may have sparked my interest in them. I love how every species and every bird has their own unique personality. As much as cats and dog do also, but birds are def on my favorite pets list. I am amazed even by the most common birds such as Robins and Starlings.

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
Well here in Australia parrots are pretty much everywhere, left, right and centre so u kinda grow up with them, seeing so many in the wild it makes u want one even more. Their smart, cuddly and fun, who wouldn't be drawn to one:lol: Most people end up with parrots because that's all u see in pet shops, I mean its not like ur gonna go to a pet shop and bring home a little baby magpie, although that would be cool to see so a budgie it is, then they realise they are more then just a bird, they become a big part of ur life, ready to start the big adventure :). Parrots just bring that little bit more fun into ur life then most other species, they make long hard days go away, sadness disappear. I love them sooo much :)

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
What a great question. I don't know that I can really explain very clearly, it just seems to be a feeling that either you do or don't love them :rolleyes: Like lots of people I started with budgies and loved them, their personality, the cute way they talked and chirruped and seemed to really like interacting with people. The larger parrots have always attracted me, they seemed to have so much character. I think I just really love how beautiful they are, their lovely soft feathers and the fun they can have with the simplest things. I am not sure why but watching a parrot preen its feathers never fails to make me feel peaceful and relaxed - I could watch it for hours. A macaw has always been my dream bird, because of their beauty and their intelligence, and I never, ever really thought that I would be able to be owned by one. But sometimes dreams do come true!!

Taz93

Avenue Veteran
My macaw dream wont be satisfied until I own a scarlet, I actually got a price check on them today $10,000 an individual....honestly I thought they were gonna be a lot more then that, my dream bird may become real one day :) but I agree, the bigger parrots have always caught my attention, same with reptiles, idk why but for me the bigger the better :)

Birdo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jackson
Loved pretty much anything that flew, which lead to getting a bird.

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
I had no idea I was a "bird person" until my husband brought home 2 budgies from the local pet store for my Christmas present. Usually not a good move, but in this case I fell in love with them. I tried for a year to tame them with not the best results, but now they are my Pretty to Watch birds and I love them. But it sparked an interest in me and last Christmas my husband (who is so sweet) bought me 2 hand raised tiels. I fell head over heels! I had no idea I would be so obsessed with them. I look forward all day at work, to going home and being with them. I resent anyone who cuts into my "bird time" with them. :)

So since I knew I was a bird person by now I just got my 5th parrot, a Crimson Bellied Conure. I had to wait a while to bring him home so he could be weaned but even through photo updates my excitement grew and now I have him home and it's day 4! I think about him all the time and can't wait until I can have all my babies together in one room. Hopefully everyone gets along :huh:

I never get discouraged even when someone tells me I'm not doing something just right...the way THEY would do it. THEY don't love my birds the way I do and I know I will learn and be the best parrot mommy out there! Because my heart and soul are in it. They are my most favorite things in the world. Thankfully my husband is understanding. He started it!!!! :D