• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why has my bird started to feed me his treats?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So today I was hanging out with Burt after he helped me with hanging up the washing.
I gave him a pine nut and he purposefully shoved it in between my lips. I offered it back to him but he was insistent that it belonged in my mouth and proceeded to intently shove it back in my mouth. He has not done this before and I am not sure what to make of it.
He will often pick up toys now and fly around with them and he also does this sometimes when he gets a treat but this shoving it in my face thing is something new I have not experienced before.
He does like to shove anything he can through the bars of his cage and sometimes goes on the hunt for items to push through the bars. He also likes to drop or put small toys in between the bits of furniture that are close together.
Pushing the pine nut into my face twice with such deliberate actions just has me wondering what this could have been all about.
If anyone can shed some light on this, I would really appreciate it :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Was he already on your shoulder, or did he fly there just to do this? It sounds as if he is sharing food with a person that he is fond of. Many birds will feed someone that they feel is a person that they want to bond with, or are already bonded to.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for your answers @expressmailtome, @Lady Jane and @Birdbabe.
He was on the chest of drawers at the time which is tall enough for me to rest my chin on. I was standing next to it and he was up there strutting his stuff waffling away to himself, he walked about 20 - 30 cm over to me to feed me the pine nut. I can honestly say that I much prefer this method of feeding me than the regurgitation method!