• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do they put Dowels in with a new cage?

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Well the change over is winding down here, just a good deep cleaning of the birdroom left. BUT I noticed something while I was getting the trash together to take out...the big stupid wood dowels they always add to the box when you open a nice new cage. You'd think if they are designing cages that sell for this much they'd know that dowles are NOT a good choice for perches and are just going to be tossed out, right? So why bother putting them in?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Don’t throw them I just use them like this so they aren’t on them all time
They are pointless though when you buy expensive cage and get crap perches
IMG_6589.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I got two dowels in each tier of my new stack. Interestingly they go front to back which is unusual (usually it is one long dowel going from left to right), So I did leave one dowel in each cage, very low down as a first step up to higher, better perches.

In previous years I have chopped up thick dowels into cylinders to drill holes and use as toy bases.

I also used a dowel to tie a plant up once.

Lots of uses for dowels, though most don't involve a bird sat on them :cautious:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Those plastic perches that come with the awful vision cages are also bad for a birds feet. Mother nature does not make anything plastic for birds to stand on except maybe a bird feeder for a few minutes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Those plastic perches that come with
Plastic perches can be handy for hospital cages for very short periods.
I also used plastic perches to hold up a cardboard platform for Adélie when she was little to help her foot.

Again, useful thing, but not for it's intended purpose :shrug:

The only crap thing, are those little plastic swings that come with smaller cages. I got one in each of my travel cages, and they are fit for nothing but the recycling bin. Total waste of time and resources to even make them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Wish they'd add normal perches so folks would know the BEST type.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Well I have quite a few branch perches that I have bought over the years and most are longer that I need for these cages. Guess what? I have a nice sharp saw and a drill to put a hole in the end for a screw.

Another trick. Ever notice when you buy a long brach perch it has a threaded stud and wingnut both ends that add about 2 inches to the overall length so you can't get it in the cage without bending things? I buy a few SS screws of the right size about 1 1/2 inch long. I take the stud out of one end of the perch and save the washers. Then I can get the perch in the cage no problem and snug down the one end with the wingnut. Then using the screw and washers put a washer on the screw and get the other washer in the cage between the end of the perch and cage side, line it up with the hole and feed the screw in and tighten both ends up and your gold! You could do both ends if you want but by having the wingnut on one end it's easier to get in the cage for one person.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally I don't think dowels are all bad as long as you have plenty of other surfaces for you birds to go on. I have two dowels in the cage at the very front to offer easy access to food and water, and a good take-off place, which the birds seem to enjoy. I actually shaved the dowels down in some places to make them a little more uneven and natural.
But of course I also have plenty of other perches (branches, platforms, ropes, etc.) for Marshmallow and Sprite to use.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They're useful as toy parts, and you can use them to transport a bird that is bitey. I don't think they're as bad as some people. To me, they're no different than sandblasted wood. The problem is when they're the only option.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Emma , I love how used to attach plastic tub forager!

I ended up using all mine as garden stakes !

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Emma , I love how used to attach plastic tub forager!

I ended up using all mine as garden stakes !
I can’t take credit for that I saw it on here but can’t remember who it was

hubby made me a t stand out of some of them too

I bet they make good garden stakes too

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Personally I don't think dowels are all bad as long as you have plenty of other surfaces for you birds to go on. I have two dowels in the cage at the very front to offer easy access to food and water, and a good take-off place, which the birds seem to enjoy. I actually shaved the dowels down in some places to make them a little more uneven and natural.
But of course I also have plenty of other perches (branches, platforms, ropes, etc.) for Marshmallow and Sprite to use.
I don’t think they are if you offer a variety but I hate the feel of them but then that’s my weird phobia wood ice pop sticks chippy wooden forks :nocomment: hubby wraps tissue around then for my to eat an ice lolly:rofl:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We use them for odd things in the shop or garden. I use them as rolling pins for pottery and to attach sponges to get the water out of vases or tall pottery pieces in the shop. We have used them to stake small plants and such in the garden.