• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are PMs limited to those with 20 posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzysDad

Sitting on the front steps
I just tried to REPLY to another member's PM to me and when I tried to send it I got a message saying only members with 20 or more posts can send private messages

Luckily, I had just saved the text of my post to a notepad window or I would have lost about an hour's work.

First question: Why are you so paranoid around here?

Second: Isn't it reasonable to be able to REPLY, at least, to PMs even if a member doesn't have 20 posts?

Third: Why limit this at all? Why not simply limit the number of private messages to one or two per day, or something like that, instead of an outright ban?

Finally: If you insist on maintaining this ban, maybe you could issue a warning BEFORE the member wastes time writing a message, like when they first ATTEMPT to create a PM.

Your current policy serves only to encourage members to spam the boards with 20 worthless posts in order to reach the level where they can spam via PM! :rofl:

Thank you,

JazzysDad (one of the good guys)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
Spam is the primary reason why we have implemented this policy. :) Also, we have had problems in the past with people from other forums registering here and harassing other members through private messages. So, we've made this restriction to help with that issue. It is a little annoying for some new users, and we may change things in the future. However, for now that's the way it is here :)
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Birdlover (the owner of the forum) may add to my comments later on when she is here :D

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
While Im sure it can be inconvenient in the beginning, you'll find that it really takes no time at all to post 20 times with all of the fabulous people and posts to respond to around here. :)
In the meantime, Im sure the person you were trying to post would give you thier email address for your correspondance :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well they are doing it because of spam..please dont take offense but t here are a lot of advertisers and other unscrupulous people out there...please stay with us!!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The modification that is used to do this is made that way - while I agree it could use some tweaks, its better than not having it at all. Most people that have a need for the PM system dont take long to do 20 posts but its typically obvious when someone joins and puts out 20 pointless posts just to abuse it. Its not perfect but overall its done its job :rolleyes:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I just tried to REPLY to another member's PM to me and when I tried to send it I got a message saying only members with 20 or more posts can send private messages

Luckily, I had just saved the text of my post to a notepad window or I would have lost about an hour's work.

First question: Why are you so paranoid around here?

Second: Isn't it reasonable to be able to REPLY, at least, to PMs even if a member doesn't have 20 posts?

Third: Why limit this at all? Why not simply limit the number of private messages to one or two per day, or something like that, instead of an outright ban?

Finally: If you insist on maintaining this ban, maybe you could issue a warning BEFORE the member wastes time writing a message, like when they first ATTEMPT to create a PM.

Your current policy serves only to encourage members to spam the boards with 20 worthless posts in order to reach the level where they can spam via PM! :rofl:

Thank you,

JazzysDad (one of the good guys)

it's not even a "ban" it's just you have to reach 20 posts first. ( to me I think of it more of a privilege)

If it was a "ban" then the person would be unable to Post at all

and no one is paranoid

Posts get moved when they're in the wrong category, so they can get more help when in the correct category

since this forum opened (and i was one of the 1st members along with many others) I've yet to see any one "abuse" the 20 posts to be able to PM any one.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
The other thing new members have done is to post to "whom ever" that they can't respond yet.
Everyone understands and works with it!:hug8:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I think in many cases it is a good idea to have that. I know some people get upset with this type of thing. I was on another forum I had registered on and it too also required about that many posts just to be able to post images or send PM's ... but because they could tell I was not there to spam their forum or to create trouble so one of the mods or admins just upped my post count over the required amount. Yah it is easy to post up to 20 posts then you have the previledge!

Again like it was mentioned already, if the other person really wanted to to contact them, they could have given you their direct email.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Ya I don't think the post requirement is a big deal. Like they said it really isn't too hard to get 20 posts on here and I rather have that than spam. Maybe there should just be a notice in red in the PM section until the member readches 20 posts so that they are aware.

JazzysDad

Sitting on the front steps

it's not even a "ban" it's just you have to reach 20 posts first. ( to me I think of it more of a privilege)

If it was a "ban" then the person would be unable to Post at all
It is most certainly a ban on private messaging, as I said, not posting.

since this forum opened (and i was one of the 1st members along with many others) I've yet to see any one "abuse" the 20 posts to be able to PM any one.
Then what is the point of the ban?

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Then what is the point of the ban?

She meant no one has just spammed 20 posts to be able to PM..not that people have not abused the PM system.

If someone is here to just spam, they usually won't take the time to accumulate 20 posts on the boards so they move on to easier "targets".

Like others have said, if you desire to be a participating member here, it doesn't take long to make 20 posts. We have lots of members and the board moves fairly quickly:)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
See post #5 from the owner of the board. I believe she told you why we have this in place. If you are here for the right reasons, it shouldnt take you long to have 20 posts. Your main interest as a new member would be in the front of the forum, not in the back I would think.

Lex123

I think that you have been answered. It isn't that hard to get 20 posts, any way.

southernbirds

The folks on this board have worked very hard to maintain the integrity of those who post here. They should be applauded for their efforts and their wisdom. I hope the explanation you received was satisfactory for you.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
ALMOST THERE JAZZYSDAD!! Your at 13, only seven more to go :)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
ALMOST THERE JAZZYSDAD!! Your at 13, only seven more to go :)
Yes how about you tell us about your birds and any other pets you have! Tell us about how long you've had birds. Pictures also help! You too can be up to 20 in a few minutes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.