• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why are caiques more expensie than senegals?

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Availability + demand determines price, as it does for everything.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Its the other way around here in Australia for black headed Caiques anyway, Senegals are still pretty rare here, I have never seen one in person. BH Caiques are still pretty pricey at around $1500-$1800 depending on breeder.
Prices usually have to do with ease of breeding and demand, it is also going to depend on where you are in the world too.
I knew a lady who bought a GCC here in Australia when their numbers were still low for pets and she paid $800 for a handraised youngster. Now they sell for about $130ea as they are prolific breeders and have built up good numbers.

Reactions: JAM

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Just depends on supply and demand

halfthewords

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hanna
Cakes are 1500 for a male in AUS, around 2000-2500 for a female. I've seen one senegal at the bird shop and it was 3k :eek: :eek: :eek:

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Cakes are 1500 for a male in AUS, around 2000-2500 for a female. I've seen one senegal at the bird shop and it was 3k :eek: :eek: :eek:
I haven't noticed a difference in price between the sexes, they seem to sell for the same here in QLD, the dearest I have seen this season has been $1800.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I've heard from breeders that caiques are not the easiest to breed and sometimes mates kill each other. I also heard they will kill their babies so normally have to hand feed from day one. I would think these reason up the price on the caiques.
Mitzi

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd like to say prices are higher on Cakes to discourage people from buying them .. lol .. I wish that was the case anyway.

Cakes aren't the easiest to breed, as another poster said.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
Hey

Another strange thing i noticed, i use to work in a pet store long time ago, and our most expensive birds over a thousand dollars were white capped pions

But now they seem to be the most cheapest larger birds around