• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who keeps a parrot food Expense log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Of course, I only have one parrot, but she is very large and does go through vast amounts of food and a fair bit of waste; so it adds up.
However, I don't feel the need to keep track of expenses, nor did I when we had multiple birds.
It's just a "given" - birds cost money to feed properly. They have to eat well, just as we do. I also don't keep track of our own grocery bill:)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Currently I don't keep track of expenses but I know about how much I buy and about how often.

I try to stick with the 15% off sales kathie has and I always make it over the $100 mark. Even tho its only 5% more off that's still $5 more or so compared to when I just get 10% off. Every little bit counts around here!

I generally buy about 2-3 months worth at a time, just depends. I feed roudybush, harrisons, seed, and BH. Generally I just buy a small 2lb or so bag of seed at the pet store as needed since its usually like $6-$7 and I have to go there to get dog and cat food all the time so its just convience and it stays fresher that way. Then I buy a 44oz bag of roudybush generally about every other month and then a 5lb bag of harrisons every 2-3. Lately I've just been adding a 1lb bag of harrisons to my orders since I buy roudybush more often. I've only bought BH once (at this current sws) so I'm not sure how fast I'm going through it but I'm sure I'll buy like 2 lbs every other month or so.

I also feed a lot of treats so they get all those too. We go through nutriberries like water here

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Can't you apply for tax relief for a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] bird? Are you able to apply for a Government Grant by conducting a "study" into the costs of feeding a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] bird over a 30 year life span? Can you reduce your Income Tax Liability by claiming the "Toy-Boy" as a "Dependent" to free up some cash flow? Honestly, providing your bird is healthy and on a good diet, once you've gone through the initial costs of setting the bird up then parrots must be one of the cheapest of all pets to maintain per bird kept. How many we choose to keep is our choice. I would use more fuel in a week than it costs me to feed my two for a year. Compared to the sheer joy, fun, fascination and wonder that they provide me with on a daily basis then any maintenance costs incurred are more than repaid a thousand-fold. Compared to the many other things I spend money on the cost is so insignificant as to be neither here-nor-there in the scheme of life. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of course, I only have one parrot, but she is very large and does go through vast amounts of food and a fair bit of waste; so it adds up.
However, I don't feel the need to keep track of expenses, nor did I when we had multiple birds.
It's just a "given" - birds cost money to feed properly. They have to eat well, just as we do. I also don't keep track of our own grocery bill:)

Yes. That's true. I've never kept any type of budget when it comes to food.:) I think I just found myself a bit mesmerized this week by how fast things were emptying. Thank goodness my birds aren't even wasteful and enjoy most of every morsel..

Can't you apply for tax relief for a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] bird? Are you able to apply for a Government Grant by conducting a "study" into the costs of feeding a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] bird over a 30 year life span? Can you reduce your Income Tax Liability by claiming the "Toy-Boy" as a "Dependent" to free up some cash flow? Honestly, providing your bird is healthy and on a good diet, once you've gone through the initial costs of setting the bird up then parrots must be one of the cheapest of all pets to maintain per bird kept. How many we choose to keep is our choice. I would use more fuel in a week than it costs me to feed my two for a year. Compared to the sheer joy, fun, fascination and wonder that they provide me with on a daily basis then any maintenance costs incurred are more than repaid a thousand-fold. Compared to the many other things I spend money on the cost is so insignificant as to be neither here-nor-there in the scheme of life. :)

Yes Gerard!!:tongue2:

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I'm really bad at budgeting..but need to start doing this..For everything..:\ I've been trying for months to record and I always get messed up.:(

Giosmom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
when I go into the bird store i frequent in Deerfield Beach....I leave kicking myself!! I actually do that whenever I leave a Target too. I go for like 3 things and come out with 300 dollars worth of things....so I think basically i overspend. and im one of those people who has to try every new thing. Its like the word sucker is stamped across my head because everywhere I go salespeople stop me and show me something and I buy it!! So I dont keep a log because if I did I would probably cry! LO!L

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im another one that doesnt keep track... intentionally :eek:

I buy about 300 pounds of dry food at a time, and it is killer. Thankfully we have a pretty great store that special orders it for me and they keep their prices way down. I could never afford to ship that much food :eek: In addition to that we go to Costco every 3-4 weeks and I get their organic frozen mixed veggies as a base for their fresh foods and then cut up fresh veg, etc from whatever we get at the store. They cost a fortune Im sure but I really dont want to know how much. I fear they are worse than the horses.:rolleyes:

alnoble89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
I am thinking about keeping track from here on out because it feels like I just decide what the diet for my guys will be and how much they need each time I feed them. Plus now I have a little stocked up so now I may try to keep up with what I need. That way I can see how much I would need to feed all my animals.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Im another one that doesnt keep track... intentionally :eek:

I buy about 300 pounds of dry food at a time, and it is killer. Thankfully we have a pretty great store that special orders it for me and they keep their prices way down. I could never afford to ship that much food :eek: In addition to that we go to Costco every 3-4 weeks and I get their organic frozen mixed veggies as a base for their fresh foods and then cut up fresh veg, etc from whatever we get at the store. They cost a fortune Im sure but I really dont want to know how much. I fear they are worse than the horses.:rolleyes:
Well my two little birds come pretty darn close to costing the same as my ONE horse so I bet you're pretty close as well ;)

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

:eek: 25lbs at a time? Just how many crops do you need to feed!! :D
all 6 small parrots eat the same size and the same pellet (thank god!) With lots of treat stuff mixed in so it is more economical and cheaper to get the 25 lb bag. seems like a lot but the piglets eat a lot :eek:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't, but I tend to just buy when I need too as well. It is a good idea though that I am sure others would like to start doing.

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
so my reserves are down for my bean mixes, and i just ordered about 40 bucks of mashes for 1 bird (around 10-12 lbs), which (supplemented with my 25 lb bag of Harrison's pellets...it was cheaper to buy 25 lbs at $110 and sprout mix 2 lb $10) should last me until the end of February or March I hope. Throwing in fresh/frozen fruits and veggies and nuts at an estimated $140 for the 4-5 months tallies up to 40 + 140 + 10 + 25(I only give him a few pellets so they will last a long time) = 215

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have 30 years of data from when I only had one budgie. My husband started the budget book and I continued after he died. I find it does reassure me since I'm now on a fixed income. Anyway, I spend nearly equal amounts on their food and mine every week.
Sadly, I spend much more time washing or cooking their food than I do for me.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
EEK!! :eek: Keep track?? No Way!! :scared5: I prefer to remain ignorant as to the masses of money that goes towards only 3 birds.

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i dont keep track exactly. i have a rolling budget spreadsheet that i 'built'. I have a food budget amount but that includes my food too, since most of their food is fresh and bought at the grocery store at the same time as mine. I dont buy fresh foods in bulk, i prefer to buy once or twice a week. i do buy all the frozen foods and dry foods once every two weeks (per payday). i buy pellets and other birdie type foods in february to last 6 to 8 months. then buy two months worth at a time til its income tax return time again.

you would think, what's one more beak when ya already have four to feed?? i found it DID cost noticably more to feed my flock when i added caleb in Jan. of this year. I have also cut some of my costs by adding chop to their menu. there's less waste. but i still give them all freshly chopped food daily so there's still plenty of waste, much to the joy of all the outside birdies!
:hehe:

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
Me to i agree prefer not to know just this week alone i have spent $140, today another $100 on almonds and i need to make a trip to the feed store for my zupreem, and seed, no i would rather not know. :dancing:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I think I'd cry if I kept a log, as I'd know just how much I am spending

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hubby says I'm ignorant & apathetic about my birdie expenses--I don't want to know how much I spend on Nicky, & I don't care, as long as I only spend $$$ that we actually have (no credit cards allowed.)

I worry about freshness, too, so I only buy 2 bags of Roudybush pellets at a time, 5lbs of Bountiful Harvest, & make sure I have enough mash mix in the freezer to last through the winter (about 6 months worth.) This is another reason to be so happy to have Kathie & My Safe Bird Store! You KNOW fresh pellets & seeds are only a few days away (here in Ohio.) :) Besides, if I wrote it all down, there's a chance Charlie might see it. :eek:

Great thread, Saemma!

Status
Not open for further replies.