• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who feeds nutriberries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Coco has done a lot of in depth research on commercial bird foods and I've requested her to do a forum sticky for us when she has time. I think it will be tremendously informative!:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I would like to know why Lafber could take the PG and artificial preservatives out of Avicakes, why they cant do the same for nutriberries? Yes I am on the PG alarmist bandwagon. There are plenty of other foods to feed that dont contain PG. I wont feed any foods that contain PG.
according to their website Avicakes still do have PG....:huh:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
yes avi cakes have it also.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
according to their website Avicakes still do have PG....:huh:
Hmm well I dont feed those either.:lol: I think maybe I am thinking at one point they went with a natural preservative and it used to be artificial.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, they stopped using ethoxyquin, and I think they use tocopherals now.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes, they stopped using ethoxyquin, and I think they use tocopherals now.
YES that was it. Those are keywords for me to put things back on the shelf. I always read the labels for my dog treats too. Any animal by products or BHT (which I have seen in bird treats, foods) or ethoxyquin, all these words means my pets dont need this.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I picked up a package of treats on my neighbors back porch table today. The third ingredient was PG. No need for it I say. There are plenty of treats for dogs that are 100% whatever...chicken, beef..etc..
Sorry for the OT.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

YES that was it. Those are keywords for me to put things back on the shelf. I always read the labels for my dog treats too. Any animal by products or BHT (which I have seen in bird treats, foods) or ethoxyquin, all these words means my pets dont need this.
BHT is in a lot of human prepackaged foods too...like I said, if you're worried about this stuff in bird treats, start looking at the cereals, crackers, pasta, etc that you probably also feed.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Mine get nutriberries as a treat once in a while as well as avi cakes.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
like I said, if you're worried about this stuff in bird treats, start looking at the cereals, crackers, pasta, etc that you probably also feed.
I hear what you're saying, Jen, but I don't feed any of those processed things, actually. My birds get very little table food. I feed fruits, veggies, nuts, Harrison's, Roudybush, a little home-made birdy bread. So, these things (avicakes, nutriberries) would represent about the only source of such preservatives and chemicals in my birds' diets. That's why I'm thinking I'll minimize use.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
BHT is in a lot of human prepackaged foods too...like I said, if you're worried about this stuff in bird treats, start looking at the cereals, crackers, pasta, etc that you probably also feed.
I personally don't eat anything with BHT either :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
0h boy i eat Doritos for lunch everyday :huh::lol:

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Slightly off topic:
I am amazed at how healthy everyone eats on here. I eat junk. Literally, the last week or so one of my meals has consisted completely of candy. Laffy Taffy, Nerds, Sour Punch kids. I just looked at mini wheats, which has also been one of my meals for the last two weeks- and it has BHT in it.

I'd rather keep my delicious mini wheats.

I'd like to think that all the preservatives have kept me looking youthful....

To keep this reply somewhat relevant, my birds don't like nutriberries- therefore I don't have them here.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
0h boy i eat Doritos for lunch everyday :huh::lol:
I love Doritos but don't eat them every day nor every week or every month.:p I like the regular ones and Jalapeno too.:dancing:

Re.. nutriberries. Haven't bought those in at least 4 months. My parrot really like them. It just seemed like alot of seed in my opinion.:huh:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes I am aware of that. I read labels for what I and my family consumes as well.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I used to feed them a lot, but then I started trying to feed a bit more healthy, and my birds decided they don't like the nutriberries anymore. I have half a bag that's been in the bird cupboard for a while now, I rarely offer them because they just get crumbled or thrown in favour of mash or sprouts or whatever. I confess I have never actually read the ingredients:o: I must have started buying them before I started reading all ingredient lists. Anyhow, I'm going to throw the rest of the bag out, seeing as they're not even being eaten anyway!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Slightly off topic:
I am amazed at how healthy everyone eats on here. I eat junk. Literally, the last week or so one of my meals has consisted completely of candy. Laffy Taffy, Nerds, Sour Punch kids. I just looked at mini wheats, which has also been one of my meals for the last two weeks- and it has BHT in it.

I'd rather keep my delicious mini wheats.

I'd like to think that all the preservatives have kept me looking youthful....

To keep this reply somewhat relevant, my birds don't like nutriberries- therefore I don't have them here.
I'm with you, my eating habits suck and I eat these chemicals on a daily basis even though I don't give them to my birds. I do admit to a chip or a crust of pizza on occasion but I just choose not to give them Cheerios or Shredded Wheat or a lot of other things that some people choose to feed. I do think it's totally a personal decision and whatever works for you...well it works for you. My only point is, the PG in Nutriberries really isn't that big of a deal if you're already feeding all sorts of other pre-packaged foods.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
I only feed as occasional snacks and only to use up what I have left. They love other things that are much better for them as much as nutriberries so I plan on not buying them in the future. (I didn't know until after I bought them how bad they were).

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the very informative thread

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You can make your own by the way. There have been several threads about how to do this and it's quite easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.