• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Winged Parakeet from the SPCA- I don't know what I'm doing!

Elisa

Moving in
Hi,

Just last week we adopted a WWP (sorry, I'm a lazy typer :) ) from the SPCA. I had never even heard of this bird and neither had they- they had him labeled as a conure.

I don't know much about them except for the frantic googling I've done. I can't tell how old he is (if he's a he, of course). He seems very very sad. He's incredibly sweet and well trained- steps right up, likes to cuddle your neck and give kisses. He seems to prefer pellet food and will eat some fresh stuff. Bananas are his favorite!

We've transitioned him to a nice big cage, with lots of toys and perches, and he spends a LOT of time out with us. He's in the same room as my lovebirds so they can yell at each other, but I have the cages pretty far apart because I haven't had him tested yet and I can't tell if he's sick or just old or just underweight or....

I don't think Pip has ever played with a toy. I tried to get him to play tonight and he just crawled under my shirt to hide.

All advice welcome!!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Aw, he sounds like a real sweetie! I think I'd very slowly introduce things like toys. He's probably pretty spooked right now, so I'd go very very slow and meet him where he's at.

I'd definitely get him to the vet. If he does have something, you certainly wouldn't want to pass it to your other birds. And even if he doesn't, it's still a good idea to get a check-up :) I personally would suggest quarantine but seeing as he's in the same room as your other birds that point is now moot.

Congrats on your new fid!! :D

Elisa

Moving in
I struggled with the idea of quarantining him- the problem is there's only one bird vet in our area and it takes a bit to get an appt. In the meantime, the only thing that gets him to eat and interact is a lot of activity! When I had him separated the first couple of days he just screamed and screamed and wouldn't eat. Broke my heart. When the lovies are out he watches them play and tries to mimic their noises, it's so cute and I'm hoping it gives him the idea.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
If there's any vids on youtube of his kind or similar, could try playing some for him to watch perhaps?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He may be used to being with a flock. Do you know history as it would help. Play some parakeet sounds from you tube for him. Could energize him. Please show us a photo.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Thanks for adopting him. He sounds very sweet. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
WWP are... interesting little cuddle monsters.
Cling on's with big attitudes and hearts they tend to prefer either people or other birds.

Sounds like he's of the people variety. He might not understand what toys are... but Porter loves toddler nesting cups, rubber ducks and anything that makes tinkling bell sounds.

He doesn't really care for wood or paper... but chews on shirts and blankets.

Goodluck with your lil sweetheart.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations on your new flock member :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations on adopting him! And thank you for doing so! He sounds like a sweetie. Try adding Some treats to his toys and showing him how to play:) He probably doesn’t know how to do that by himself if he never had toys before.

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have had my wwp for quite awhile, a similar situation leading me to him by accident. It is frustratingly hard to find info on them, so here are some things I have found after a TON of research:

They were very common (like budgies) in the 40's and 50's but their wild numbers dwindled down to almost nothing and their importation subsequently became illegal and they nearly disappeared from the pet trade. In the wild, they have a tendency towards the occasional insect snack, so some people give theirs insects as a small part of their diet (mine enjoys the very occasional super worm if there is leftovers from my chameleon.). They are the biggest species under the genus of the Brotogeris birds which includes: Yellow Cheveroned Parakeets, Plain Parakeets, orange chinned parakeets, Colbalt winged parakeets, Grey cheeked parakeets, Golden winged parakeet, Tui parakeets and our very own White winged. Breeders tend to refer to our guys either by their scientific name Brotogeris versicolurus or affectionately 'beebee parrots.'

I have found that a lot of peoples wwp are very mechanical thinkers. Mine prefers solving puzzles and foraging over typical 'playing.' They are quirky little birds who's personality and intellect are anything but little. They are usually not picky eaters from my understanding, but can have some odd but STRONG opinions. I know one person who's pair of wwp won't eat peas certain times of the year, but loves them otherwise.

I love my Sam SO much, he is so fun.

Congrats and good luck!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
If he steps up, eats well, and cuddles, than I don't think he is unhappy or ill. I agree with Lady Jane, I think he is just a little spooked.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
That was my first bigger parrot. We battled at first then I started really working with him and he quickly chose me as his friend. He loved scritches and going every where I was in the house. He thought he was a eagle and would dive bomb my sisters when I left the room. I forgot how small they are after seeing one again 40 years or so later. I paid 16 bucks for him in the early 70s and they had a huge cage full of them. I remember he could get really loud for such a little guy too.