• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White line on my new budgie's beak?

rosemary

Strolling the yard
I got my two budgies last Thursday and everything has been going well. One of my male budgies has a wave-like line on the lower part of his beak, he eats and does not seem to be in discomfort however I am a new budgie owner, so what do I know?? So my question is- do you guys know what that might be? I read online that it is part its growth, is that true?

Thanks in advance! P.S. its night time, so I cant take a clear picture right now!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:welave: @rosemary

Yep, that line is completely normal. It's a product of beak growth where the old edge flakes away. If you ever hear your budgie 'beakgrinding' it's encouraging the flaking whilst taking care of bits that are damaged by wear and tear.

Last edited:

rosemary

Strolling the yard
:welave: @rosemary

Yep, that line is completely normal. It's a product of beak growth where the old edge flakes away. If you ever hear your budgie 'beakgrinding' it's encouraging the flaking whilst taking care of bits that are damaged by wear and tear.
oh, thank god!

I was sooo worried. Since I am new to this everything freaks me out :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi @rosemary :welcome2: - and just in case...

In case this is your first budgie;
I always try to remember to tell new bird owners that budgies/parakeets hull their seeds, and the seed dish can look full when it is only empty hulls in there. Just a cautionary note to add fresh seed and water daily.