• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which to pull-Thoughts?

VantCors

Strolling the yard
I have 3 green rumped parrotlet chicks aged 2 1/2 weeks. I have successfully hand raised both parrotlets and other birds before, but I was not planning to do so with this clutch. One chick is about half the size of the other 2, and I am debating whether to pull him, all 3, or the other two. I'm leaning towards pulling the other two, as I know I can care for them well, and the parents would probably do a better job with the little one than I could, and he would get enough attention once the others were out. I have all the supplies I need, just trying to make a decision. Thoughts?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It makes good sense to leave the little one and you could always feed this one in addition to the parents feeding.

@Monica

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Mind me asking, is he younger than any of the others or is it a growth problem? Also, I would still say take out the two larger ones and let the parents take care of the smaller one.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Mind me asking, is he younger than any of the others or is it a growth problem? Also, I would still say take out the two larger ones and let the parents take care of the smaller one.
It seems to be a growth problem. :( One out of 4 eggs was a dud, so even if he was the youngest, with one egg in between, the difference should not be this noticeable. I'll try and get a comparison photo.
It makes good sense to leave the little one and you could always feed this one in addition to the parents feeding.

@Monica
Thanks :) I have offered a couple of supplementary feedings in the last couple of days, and I'll continue if I need to, but they do seem to be feeding him.

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Was your main worry the others would trample him or that the parents may neglect him to to this growth defect?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I'd pull the other two :)

If he is a lot smaller and weaker, its best to let the parrots give him all of their attention, while the stronger ones should be able to be hand fed fine.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not the first time that I think the opposite then the rest of you...

I have offered a couple of supplementary feedings in the last couple of days, and I'll continue if I need to, but they do seem to be feeding him.
This is what I would have done, and let all 3 babies stay with their parents.
To letting the babies stay with their parents should always be the first option. And will also allowed the birds to be birds and not something in between.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
*IF* necessary, I'd pull the oldest. If not necessary, do keep a close eye on all of them. Keep an eye on their weights if you can.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've done it both ways in the past. In the end, I think it depends on how good your brooder is at coming up to temp and maintaining it. If you have a great brooder, I'd pull the youngest and let the older ones continue having success. If you have a standard home-made brooder that is likely to be just not quite the right temp to let a mostly naked baby thermoregulate, then I'd pull the oldest since its likely to have more feathers and leave the youngest two in the box. I think it mostly comes down to your skill and confidence in raising a young baby and how good you are at getting weight on birds.

My first option that I might try if the parents are VERY tolerant of interference, is to just do 2-4 supplemental feeds a day and leave all the babies in the box together. Maybe try that for a day or two and weigh the chick each morning. If you see a big jump in percent gained after starting supplemental feeds, then leave it in the box. If parents are jumpy and trampling babies every time you open the box then pull the chick you feel you are most likely to be successful with. You can always pull the oldest, wait a day to see if the parents step up their efforts with the youngest and if not pull another baby. To be honest, I'm slightly lukewarm about just leaving one baby in the box with the parents. I'm more likely to pull one and leave two than vice versa.
BTW, its nice to see someone breeding green rumps.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Thank you all for your advice! In the end, the decision was made for me. They got quite cold last night, so I had to pull all of them. I have a high quality brooder/incubator, but a friend who is raising celestials has taken them on for me, as she is already feeding at crazy hours :laugh:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you pull one, I'd pull them all. These are parrotlets after all.