• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which room should I bird-proof?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I have two zebra finches. Which spend their days in a cage (I know not a good idea) So I was thinking of bird-proofing a room but I don't know which one.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Personally, I think this depends. I’d not choose the kitchen though.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What kind of rooms do you have available?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If your birds live in the living room, maybe that one?

It also depends on how much stuff you have, room size, who else lives at home with you, doors/windows etc

@fashionfobie lets her boys out for a fly, maybe she´ll have some better advice :)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Couple more questions ...

Where are the birds currently located?

Where do you spend most of your time?

Do you have any other pets in the house?

How many people live in your home?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
Couple more questions ...

Where are the birds currently located?

Where do you spend most of your time?

Do you have any other pets in the house?

How many people live in your home?
1:Living Room
2:Bedroom and Living Room
3:No
4:7

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would lean toward bird-proofing the living room, your bedroom, or both spaces. You can teach birds to return to their cage at night so they will be safely contained while you are asleep or unable to supervise them. But this can take a while, so be prepared and read about what to do when giving birds out of cage time for the first time.

A smaller room, like your bedroom, might be a better choice initially, because it will be easier to bird proof and you will have more control over access. I would worry that the living room will be too "high traffic" and the finches might get let out by mistake. More people in the house means more opportunities for doors or windows to be left open or unsafe items to be brought inside.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I would lean toward bird-proofing the living room, your bedroom, or both spaces. You can teach birds to return to their cage at night so they will be safely contained while you are asleep or unable to supervise them. But this can take a while, so be prepared and read about what to do when giving birds out of cage time for the first time.

A smaller room, like your bedroom, might be a better choice initially, because it will be easier to bird proof and you will have more control over access. I would worry that the living room will be too "high traffic" and the finches might get let out by mistake. More people in the house means more opportunities for doors or windows to be left open or unsafe items to be brought inside.
Thanks for the advice

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Definitely your bedroom. In the event of an emergency and you can't get the birds back in their cage quickly, you can close your door and your birds will still be safe. Stuff happens. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I will add a little to the rest of the great advice :)

Ensure you have the whole day off for their first days out. They will be on bird time, and if you need to leave for work or go someplace you can't guarantee they will get back to their cage in time. You should never move your birds if you feel stressed or in a rush. Calm and patience always.

It is very rewarding to watch them fly. I hope your experience goes well.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
If you really live with six other people, I would never let my bird fly anywhere other than a room with a door that I completely control. I live with my husband and grown son, and I put signs on all exterior doors every time I let Mango out, but for the longest time, I only let her out in a room I could close off. Now, I know that my grown son is at work all day, so I don't have to worry about him, but i still put signs up!

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
I will add a little to the rest of the great advice :)

Ensure you have the whole day off for their first days out. They will be on bird time, and if you need to leave for work or go someplace you can't guarantee they will get back to their cage in time. You should never move your birds if you feel stressed or in a rush. Calm and patience always.

It is very rewarding to watch them fly. I hope your experience goes well.
thanks