• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Pionus is MOST like the Brown Head (Pois)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Hi, I am almost 100 % decided on adopting a male Brown Headed Pois from a breeder whose B.H. parents have not yet nested, and in the case that there are no clutches this year for the B.H. (or no male chicks), I am considering the possibility of adopting a male Pionus (she breeds this species too), either Dusky, Maxi, Blue Headed or White Capped. So, my question is, since a Brown Headed Pois have charactheristics (behaviour) that I am looking in a parrot (taking into account that every parrot has its own personality), which Pionus would be most recommended. We are a family of five with three school-aged children, which is why I think that the B.H. is ultimately most suited to our family (calm, tolerant and affectinate dispostion). And we are seeking a male, due to concerns with egg-binding. We have two very sexually active male Lovebirds and are worried that any female parrot may be provoked into egg-laying in this environment. Any suggestions welcome.:hmmm:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Duskies and White caps are known to be the fiesiest species. Maxis can also be quite fiesty but are also known to be more even tempered than the other species. All can be agressive when mature but males do tend to be more aggressive. I've heard amazing things about Brown headed parrots but pionus are not really the same IMO. If you really want a Brown head I would hold off and get one.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Of the 4 you gave the blue heads would be the best choice as far as being good natured, but this is all relative to each individual bird.

I will just give you examples of my 2 mature bronze wings, for comparisons.

Odin my female is a GREAT bird. Not too loud can get a little noisy here and there, will be semi nippy and feisty at me sometimes(only when my SO is around, her chosen person) but all around good natured, and an awesome companion. She talks very well for a pionus. She is NOT good with other people in our house. Away from the house, she is fine with other people, but because she is fully flighted, she can take advantage of being shy and just fly away from them.

Loki my male is also a great bird, but for different reasons. He does not talk, but maybe says hi and hey bird. He likes to whistle though. He can be cage territorial. When he is hormonal, there is no stopping him!! It's best if we just leave him be in his cage and check on him later. When he is not hormonal he is awesome! He loves head scratches. He prefers me, but will step up for my SO from time to time(he definitely prefers me). Away from our house he will go to ANYONE...kids, men, women... he doesn't care. He loves the attention. :)

I hope this helps you realize how different each bird can be. I really think personalities are individual and you should just go with what your heart wants and what becomes available, or if you are good at waiting wait for your dream brown head.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Thank you allison and Leza, for your feedbacks. After reading the other threads under Pionus Pointe, I'm finding that members of this species, although majestic-looking, can be pretty unpredictable behaviourally, and due to the young ages of the children in our home, may not be the best suited species. So, I guess I'll wait for a Brown Head. I wouldn't want to set a Pionus parrot up for failure in our household if we cannot meet its needs. Thanks for your input. :)

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Also, Sylvia, you never know when a Brown Headed Parrot will become available through rescue or rehoming. I'd keep an eye on CL and your local avian rescue groups, just to be on the safe side. My Brown Headed Parrot literally came to me out of the blue. I got a phone call from a lady one day saying, "Please come get this bird ASAP or we're taking him to the pound to be euthanized." So you never know where your dream bird may come from!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Also, Sylvia, you never know when a Brown Headed Parrot will become available through rescue or rehoming. I'd keep an eye on CL and your local avian rescue groups, just to be on the safe side. My Brown Headed Parrot literally came to me out of the blue. I got a phone call from a lady one day saying, "Please come get this bird ASAP or we're taking him to the pound to be euthanized." So you never know where your dream bird may come from!
Thanks, Emily. We really do have our heart set on a Brown Headed Parrot, and will look into our local avian rescues as well. Thanks for your input.:brnhead:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Last I heard you had a baby on hold right? :)

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Yes, Annaleza, thanks very much for asking, but ACTUALLY, we may have two Brown Headed baby Pois on hold at our breeder's. After some thinking, we decided that we would like a well-rounded even numbered flock of 4 to make it complete. We already have two male Lutino Lovebirds that we have had for several years now, ages 8 and 4, (who hate each other, by the way, and need to be kept in separate cages side-by-side) and would like to add two more larger same species parrots that have natually quiet dispositions (to counter-act our smaller noisy but lovable Loveirds) - and that have longer life-spans.

We initially inquired about the Pionus species, as our breeder breeds both Pionus and Pois, but then, in researching both Pionus and Pois, we discovered that the Brown Headed Pois (as much as the Blue Headed and Maxis very much appeal to my heart) may be better matched with our already set-in-their-ways Alpha Male Lovebirds, who would run the risk of getting their heads bitten off by these larger birds.

Having had an Orange-Winged Amazon and a Moluccan Cockatoo many years ago in my family as a child, which my parents obtained as re-homed parrots I have come to realize that these beautiful and majestic beauties are a very demanding species, and not conducive to a busy family with even more demanding children (real children, that is). I have also had a pair of Ringneck Parakeets when I was younger but found this species not very cuddly and very much screamers. I have also had Cockatiels, but my female would lay eggs constantly, whether she had a mate or not (ugh!) and the egg-binding potential really scares me. That video on another thread about the vet treating an egg-bound Lovie (reminded me of the pains of child birth) has me rethinking the female gender, but I'm told that this excessive egg-laying is uncommon with the larger species.

In any case, my breeder has three eggs that are due to hatch the first week of April, and so my next decsion will be do we get both babies together or one now and the second one in the Fall from the next clutch? There are pros and cons to both. Getting both now would reduce any difficult introductions in the future but getting them separately would allow the first baby several months time to bond with us before the next one comes. They'll both still be babies, so the transition shouldn't be too difficult for them.

My breeder has recently had three Dusky babies hatch in the last few weeks. Harry (The Wanderer) on this Forum is adopting one of them. This makes me jealous as he will get his baby home first. My 2+ months of weaning waiting period hasn't even begun yet, and I'm trying not to get too excited too early on, otherwise I will be on the edge of my seat all the time, what with decisions to be made about cages, toys, perches, food, and the list goes on.......

Sorry for the long-winded answer. Hope you don't regret asking - LOL!!!

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
No worries, I read the whole thing :D that is so exciting! You know I think if you got one now and one in the fall, putting the first at about 6 months age, it would be a great case for you. The idea of bonding with one then the other sounds ideal if it were me. The first will also still be young enough to introduce a newbie.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
No worries, I read the whole thing :D that is so exciting! You know I think if you got one now and one in the fall, putting the first at about 6 months age, it would be a great case for you. The idea of bonding with one then the other sounds ideal if it were me. The first will also still be young enough to introduce a newbie.
Very good idea, Annaleza. This is what I may do anyways, especially if I feel a significantly stronger attachment to one baby over the other two. Thanks for your feedback :) Greatly appreciated:thanks:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use to breed Brown heads and Pionus. I have to say the BH is my number 3 favorite parrot of all times. They are wonderful little family birds that are a joy to own. They are very playful, have the ability to talk great(mine did!) and really can invent wonderful games to themselves busy. I never had a problem with them picking favorites in the family and they would go to anyone. That's not to say it won't happen. They just seem to be well rounded little citizens of the bird world.
I definitely agree that you start with just one. Build that bond and trust and take it from there. I hope the babies hatch and grow and you soon have a sweet baby home. :D

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I use to breed Brown heads and Pionus. I have to say the BH is my number 3 favorite parrot of all times. They are wonderful little family birds that are a joy to own. They are very playful, have the ability to talk great(mine did!) and really can invent wonderful games to themselves busy. I never had a problem with them picking favorites in the family and they would go to anyone. That's not to say it won't happen. They just seem to be well rounded little citizens of the bird world.
I definitely agree that you start with just one. Build that bond and trust and take it from there. I hope the babies hatch and grow and you soon have a sweet baby home. :D
Thank you, Judy. BTW, what is your number ONE and TWO favorite parrots (let me guess, one of them would be the Grey, right?:D). And why is the BH your third favorite? Does it have something to do with them being too laid back? This is the only criticism that I have read about the BH. Are there any issues I should watch out for with the BHs? (They can't just be perfect all around. L.O.L!) And with the B.H. did you find any difference between the males and females with temperament? Or females with excessive egg-laying? Did the males talk better than the females? This is what I hear with most species anyways. Thanks for your feedback and sorry for all the questions. I feel I'm getting carried away with excitement again (something I'm tyring to avoid as I have at least another 2.5 months wait yet :( :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wellll...:Dyes Greys are my #1 fav!! Then my U2!! Brown heads are not really that laid back. They are very active! Actually I don't have a preference of boys or girls. They are both great! They both have equal ability to talk. My one little female could carry on an entire conversation. Asking me questions, answering my questions. There is no guarantee that any parrot will talk. It is important to remember that. It is important to make sure everyone interacts with your BH. Pay pass the parrot and have them step up on to each person in a circle. I never had any problems with my birds laying excessively. Remember, I use to breed them. Most of my females that were kept separate from males never even laid.
My friend Marguerite wrote this book about BHs. It is available on line:
Smashwords — African Brown-Headed Parrot: A Human's Guide — A book by Marguerite Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.