• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which one is more challenge GW Macaw Or Yellow Naped Amazon ?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hello

Finally, he arrived home after a long journey from the pet store to the vet clinic.

View attachment 316149

First, they gave him a good shower at the pet store then they put him under the sun for 20 minutes, then I went to the vet clinic to check his health, they had his blood and poop and they said it's ok but they found that he needs more vitamins plus they said that his body is so weak so he needs more fruits and vegetable, they discovered that he has many dead feathers so they decided to give him a chance one month to get stronger so they can remove the dead feathers.

View attachment 316149 View attachment 316151

They gave him one injection of multivitamins and dropped medicine in his mouth to clean his stomach from bacteria.
View attachment 316153
It was a long, tough and painful day for him, I know, but it's a must.

Once we arrived home, I put him on a stand " His cage has a stand, but I preferred not to enter him into the cage and put him on the stand for three to four days just to tame him and make him closer."
View attachment 316154
I provided him with lots of fruits and vegetables, I tried to make step up on my hand but he didn't do it so I'll go with him slow until I get his trust.

Just go slow & offer him treats...Find the one he is in love for & make him work for it...You'll soon have him following you around...

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
:party:Good Luck & many wonderful years with the big guy!

Try your forearm...offer him that...put a treat on it..make him feel its a safe place...

He can step up on your forearm once he knows its safe & its safer for your fingers...

Make sure to wash well after handling him...Maybe even use a smock & remove it til you are sure he has none of them really bad bird things s you don't want to jeopardize the health of your amazon.

I offered him my forearm many times but he still refusing ... :eek:

Checkout what he do when I bring my forearm closer
:omg:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you offered him food when does that little wing flip? Not sure about this baby but mine would always do the wing flip when he was wanting some loving or baby food......still does it a fair bit actually and he is nearly 2 years old :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Those are insecure baby sounds.

Watch Sarah's (MACAWNUTZ) 'feed me' baby tape to get an idea of baby movement. Her's is a baby begging for food, but you'll see the actions babies make.
Yours I believe is mainly moving/making sounds in insecurity, and fear. Some food begging also perhaps.
Sometimes a little offered warm food (like mashed sweet potato) is comforting to young birds.
Young macaws often regress once brought home, and some need supplemental (for emotional needs) feedings up to and over a year.

In the first 10 seconds of this video Korbel is asking food. Notice the slow head bob and the wing flip.They will also make a "gacking" type sound that they also to ask for comfort.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I offered him my forearm many times but he still refusing ... :eek:

Checkout what he do when I bring my forearm closer :omg:

new home etc...scared...back off... just feed him...talk,,,slow movementts... talk but don't push or expect... Needs to feel safe in his new home. A place of safety might be good. A place he can go out of the open to feel secure while he takes it all in...you don't want the fear of all the new things to be associated with you...

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
I'm still trying just to get his trust, he is soo cute with these baby sounds :) , I also think some of his moves like waving his head as a threaten to bite just to make me stop trying, but once I put his food on my hand palm he comes and put his head in it and eat sooo Nice

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought he looked like he was nervous. I know when we first brought Buddy (our Zon) home even just a new shirt or pants he wasn't used to, he'd be afraid of. We went into a new season w/ in a month of Buddy moving in. All my new cloths made him do movements similar to your fid. It takes awhile for them to feel safe, when it came time for the seasons to change I went thru it again. That was like 6 months in. It takes time.

I'm glad you got him into a clinic for a wellness checkup. There are some fruits & veggies that are better than others... W/ Bahar being under nourished did they say a little bit of everything? I :heart:your pic w/ the apple? He/she looks so playful!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm still trying just to get his trust, he is soo cute with these baby sounds :) , I also think some of his moves like waving his head as a threaten to bite just to make me stop trying, but once I put his food on my hand palm he comes and put his head in it and eat sooo Nice

I'd slow down...He's only home about a day. Your arm looks so big with the big white shirt///

He does not look like he knows what the big white thing is doing trying to push into him...

You need to go slow or you will set up more fear & danger & then defense which you don't want associated with you...

Right now don't try to step him up...its too soon for him & you'll just end up scaring him & making him think you are a danger.

He also needs a space where he is not out in the open like that as its not a place of security. He needs a space to retreat if he feels he is in danger or else his unsureness about the new home is going to transfer into danger & you don;t want that. Make him feel as comfortable as you can even if it means not trying to touch him which at this point I would advise against...

Be the bringer of good things & he will loose his fear & seek you out. You don't want to be the aggressor on a frightened bird.

They may train differently in the middle east but if you want a true friend you have to earn his trust & right now the first thing is to remove the fear by letting him be. give him time & making all interactions non threatening with reward...

Treats, food...bring them to him...with no expectation...let him see you are no danger & a friend...

Its a good bird with limited socialization...He's afraid & backing away. Respect that or he may start to have more fear & try to defend himself. He's telling you in a nice way I am not sure or all of this so please give him time to take all of it in so he knows he is in a safe place.

Well thats all from me...

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@SAUD, I got the impression that he has no idea that you would like him to step on your arm. He seems alarmed by it. He may not be used to touch. Have you asked him if you may pet him? He may like you to gently rub his beak or the top of his head with a finger or two. He may not be ready for an arm offer yet.

Last edited:

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
I'd slow down...He's only home about a day. Your arm looks so big with the big white shirt///

He does not look like he knows what the big white thing is doing trying to push into him...

You need to go slow or you will set up more fear & danger & then defense which you don't want associated with you...

Right now don't try to step him up...its too soon for him & you'll just end up scaring him & making him think you are a danger.
I'm really not in a hurry for make him stepping up on my hand, but because when I offer him my hand with food he come and puts his head on my hand as a trust which is so sweet behavior from him as if he saying Thank you, that which make me try to make him step up, but without push ... :banghead:

As what all of you said I need to go very slow with him, I think after what the clinic has said about his health it seems like he didn't have good time there in pet store ,,,, :unsure1:

He is improving now, playing and making his head dance :dance4:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really not in a hurry for make him stepping up on my hand, but because when I offer him my hand with food he come and puts his head on my hand as a trust which is so sweet behavior from him as if he saying Thank you, that which make me try to make him step up, but without push ... :banghead:

As what all of you said I need to go very slow with him, I think after what the clinic has said about his health it seems like he didn't have good time there in pet store ,,,, :unsure1:

He is improving now, playing and making his head dance :dance4:

Maybe just start small & sit w/ him. Read to him from a book, a kids book or a news paper. The more animated your voice is the better, Buddy loves when I read him this book. One of his favorite things to eat are apples. They're real high in sugar but about 1 time a week we eat them, so he really knows what they are (He's also around 27 yrs old).

Amazon.com: Ten Apples Up On Top! (9780394800196): Theo. LeSieg, Roy McKie: Books

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How is you beautiful baby doing today @SAUD?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
When the 2 of you are ready for stepping up, try offering him/her your hand instead. Your arm, with the sleeve, will be unstable for perching. The side of your hand will be much better, and you can rest your thumb on top of his foot for some control. When I pick mine up, I pick up her foot - this is the method we both learned together, and it still works today. And it lets me pick her up even when she's really not into it. Spend a lot of time babying this bird at this point - all the body language I see indicates that he/she is feeling very young, insecure, needy, etc. I keep thinking about your vet wanting to remove "dead" feathers. I assume you mean broken feathers. Personally, I'd let them molt out naturally, rather than pull them. Pulling them is painful and will be traumatic, and could be a set back for training and trust. Unless a broken feather is really bothering him/her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Since Bahar seems to be pretty well food motivated, here is a method that works well. @Macawnutz uses a method very close to this method and she used to have a video, but I couldn't find it. Sarah (Macawnutz) would hold her hand in front of the bird and make it reach over her hand/arm to get to the treats - same result. Get a supply of Pine Nuts, because it takes lots of trust.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Since Bahar seems to be pretty well food motivated, here is a method that works well. @Macawnutz uses a method very close to this method and she used to have a video, but I couldn't find it. Sarah (Macawnutz) would hold her hand in front of the bird and make it reach over her hand/arm to get to the treats - same result. Get a supply of Pine Nuts, because it takes lots of trust.

Sort of did the same thing to tame a wild budgie...Held the treat in this case millet & slowly brought it close to my hand...lil by lil until the bird had to reach over & finally stand on my hand & eat it...Then is was on my hand...Once it learned it could come out on my hand then it was ok with it...less than 2 weeks a parent raised bird was on my hand sleeping...

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Great Video Mary!

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
Hello :hiya:

20191001_214748.jpg

New news just came in last night.......................

I tried to offer him my forearm to him while I was feeding him and then the magic happened :hug8:

He placed his right foot on my left arm and started to eat from my right hand, then I left him for a while, and he started making baby sounds which caught my heart and made me feel tempted, so I continued feeding him while he is placing his foot on my arm, I tried to raise my arm a little bit so that he can hold on to my arm with both of his feet, but he didn't do it :dead:

I was so happy at that moment then my son came to try to see if he can also place his right foot on his arm :dance5:

Go and have a look at the footage that I captured at the moment between them. :rolleyes:

<--

Today morning, he saw me preparing to go to work then he leaned his head down and placed his left foot on his head as if he's saying to me: "please scratch my head," and I came close to him and I collected all my calmness and scratched his head, then he closed his eyes while I was scratching his head for three minutes straight or so, I tried to scratch his head after coming back from work but he didn't allow me :faint:

I think me and my son are going through great progress these days :nana: