• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which of your parrots has given you the MOST physical pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
This is going to sound NUTS but the little one, Boomer, my green cheek. lol That little beak bites hard. Aly has fits and bites but not hard and Chiquita does not bite.

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
I have a Goffin & two budgies - the Goffin never bites so Kino the most agressive of my budgies has a bite that hurts the most, but it's more like getting pinched. Once he got me on the lip and that was the worst ... but more like a papercut. But some of your stories made me cringe! Ouch!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those large swollen hemotomas the big birds leave behind are actually pulped muscle tissue with actual pools of blood left behind from the broken blood vessels. As an orthopedic nurse, I had a patient overnight who had to have a hematoma drained which she got from a very large macaw; I can't remember the actual species: it was a big one. Not only did they end up draining almost 50 ml of blood out of her arm, but she also had some crushed muscle removed because it had started going necrotic. She was left with a divot in ther upper arm where the muscle had to be taken out. The surgeon said he had never seen any injury like it except perhaps during a car accident when arms or legs are crushed by great weights. The patient was a very petite person and the bird got his beak about three quarters of the way around her upper arm. I was impressed because she didn't give up her bird. She did say, however, she was buying some kevlar gloves.
Wowzer! :eek: I am impressed by both the injury and her response to it. Awesome. I'd like to shake her (kevlar covered) hand. :)
(Just as an aside: this kind of reminds me of what Debbie says about Diego--that he can get his beak around her arm...).

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those large swollen hemotomas the big birds leave behind are actually pulped muscle tissue with actual pools of blood left behind from the broken blood vessels. As an orthopedic nurse, I had a patient overnight who had to have a hematoma drained which she got from a very large macaw; I can't remember the actual species: it was a big one. Not only did they end up draining almost 50 ml of blood out of her arm, but she also had some crushed muscle removed because it had started going necrotic. She was left with a divot in ther upper arm where the muscle had to be taken out. The surgeon said he had never seen any injury like it except perhaps during a car accident when arms or legs are crushed by great weights. The patient was a very petite person and the bird got his beak about three quarters of the way around her upper arm. I was impressed because she didn't give up her bird. She did say, however, she was buying some kevlar gloves.
:eek: Some folks sure have a High Tolerance and PAIN threshold.:eek:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
That makes sense.
Those macaw beaks are crushing, other birds seem to pinch and slice, the macaws crush.

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Gryphon has bitten me three times, all my fault totally~

When he bites, he's like a great white shark, bite hard, strong and shakes from side to side~

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
would not like a bite from our hybrid macaw Chaz as his beak is huge. Thank goodness he is a •••••cat and does not bite.
jay our blue front is another matter. He has given me some painful bites that end up as injuries. His way is to attack and hang on to try and take the flesh from the bones! Then when you think the pain could not get any worse he twists his beak as he flies off and leaves you dripping blood.
At his worse he has had to be left in his cage until his hormones subside and then we manage him on a stick. My eldest daughter loves him to bits and takes all kinds of liberties with him and he lets her.
Both our Greys kiss me to death and their bites are gentle and do not hurt, they are not meant to. I take it as a warning from them not to continue whatever or it could get serious!
Our Timneh Grey Rambo is something else. He can give a painful bite if he has a mind to but thank goodness that is rare.
Can someone explain to me why we put up with all of this pain in the first place??:D

Status
Not open for further replies.