• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which is better breeder? Indian ringneck or sun conure

Ralph dacanay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ralph louell anthony j. Dacanay
So im planning on buying a bird to breed that are good parents and will give many chicks that i can handfeed.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why?

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What are you planning to do with the birds you breed ?

Ralph dacanay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ralph louell anthony j. Dacanay
Ill be selling their babies to people that i know are responsible and have a knowledge on handfeeding because handfeeds here in the philippines is in high demands or i will be the one to handfeed their babies. I already ave done some research on how to breed indian ringnecks and sun conure.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you looking to make some $$$ out of this venture? " handfeeds here in the philippines is in high demands"
Members on AA care about a birds welfare, health and enrichment. Breeding birds because handfed birds will make you money is not a good reason to bring more birds into the world, We usually do not get a bird because they are a "good breeder". Please think twice before doing this. If you ask other bird breeders they will tell you it is not really a money making venture. There are many heartaches that go along with breeding any animal for profit.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Please get more education/ Training. Questions or research on online forums is not enough to start to breed birds.
The last 2 tiels you handfed did not do too well.

Please have available funds for cages, equipment & medical care.

One of your last babies had to be returned to a breeder as it was getting really thin & other died for unknown reasons or complications from human baby food as its beak was stuck & what you called a "cold" as you have no heat.

You will need to get a reliable way to keep these babies warm & a reliable source of handfeeding formula & equipment.
You will also need access to a vet or qualified medical care as you have said there are none in your area.

Novices feeding baby birds often has life threatening complications as you should be aware.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Neither of the species you mentioned is particularly hard to breed given the right conditions (and a compatible pair), so the right one to breed would be whichever species is rarer there - my guess would be sun conures.
But like everyone has said, breeding is a serious undertaking. Pairs and babies require a lot of care and you will want to have a vet available to go to for problems. Even if everything goes perfectly and the parents take good care of the babies until they wean, there's still a lot of work involved - fresh veggies and other foods 2-3x a day (at least while they are feeding babies), lots of handling and socializing of the babies so they end up tame. If there are any problems you might end up with babies needing to be handfed every few hours, or worse, sick or stunted babies.
Also, I suspect these birds are less common in the Philippines but in some areas, there is a problem of unwanted birds that end up in shelters. Sun conures, while wonderful birds, can be very loud and some may lose their homes due to the noise they make bothering people. Being a responsible breeder also means educating potential buyers and warning them of potential drawbacks to help ensure and babies you sell do end up in forever homes.