• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to buy plastic perches? Help!!

Mykiwibird

Sitting on the front steps
My 6 yo cinnamon gcc Kiwi is unfortunately dealing with Avian Gastric Yeast :(

Basically what I've read is that any porous surface can carry the yeast! This is terrifying to me because ofc I try to provide kiwi with as many foraging toys as possible, but I've read that some ppl dealing with AGY throw out all porous perches and toys and start fresh, cleaning daily.

When I spoke to my vet about this yesterday, she said unfortunately there is not much known about AGY and it might be better to err on the safe side and set kiwi up with an easily cleanable, non porous cage set up.

Unfortunately this means no wood, no cardboard, no rope perches etc. Plastic and metal are the most common materials that are non porous. I figure I can make her up a very destroyable foraging activity everyday so she isn't bored...

But here's where I'm stuck, all her current perches are either wood, rope or cement, and all of these are porous! I've been searching far and wide for plastic perches, ik these are slippery so I figure I can replace a bit of vet wrap around each perch everyday as long as I have a fairly minimalistic set up for her.

Has anyone out there had this same struggle? Am I overthinking this too much? I seriously cannot find plastic perches anywhere, I've looked at a handful of places online and no plastic, and the specialty bird store I was in yesterday didn't have any either.

Am I asking too much? Is it literally just near impossible to find plastic perches anywhere? I've found tons of tiny little plastic toys but where are the perches lol.

To anyone willing to give advice, I appreciate it immensely as I am quite lost in what to do! TYIA

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Basically what I've read is that any porous surface can carry the yeast! This is terrifying to me because ofc I try to provide kiwi with as many foraging toys as possible, but I've read that some ppl dealing with AGY throw out all porous perches and toys and start fresh, cleaning daily.

When I spoke to my vet about this yesterday, she said unfortunately there is not much known about AGY and it might be better to err on the safe side and set kiwi up with an easily cleanable, non porous cage set up.

Unfortunately this means no wood, no cardboard, no rope perches etc. Plastic and metal are the most common materials that are non porous. I figure I can make her up a very destroyable foraging activity everyday so she isn't bored...

But here's where I'm stuck, all her current perches are either wood, rope or cement, and all of these are porous! I've been searching far and wide for plastic perches, ik these are slippery so I figure I can replace a bit of vet wrap around each perch everyday as long as I have a fairly minimalistic set up for her.

Has anyone out there had this same struggle? Am I overthinking this too much? I seriously cannot find plastic perches anywhere, I've looked at a handful of places online and no plastic, and the specialty bird store I was in yesterday didn't have any either.

Am I asking too much? Is it literally just near impossible to find plastic perches anywhere? I've found tons of tiny little plastic toys but where are the perches lol.

To anyone willing to give advice, I appreciate it immensely as I am quite lost in what to do! TYIA
Amazon has the Vision cages plastic perches available.

Hari Vision Bird Cage Perch, Parakeet Perch, 2-Pack, Green, 83405

I feel like it offers more grip sizes in comparison to those plastic dowel perches if you need to use plastic

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann

Amazon has several different options.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
You could go to the hardware store and but a small length of small diameter PVC pipe. cut it to fit THEN use a dreimal to "rough up" a bit so Kiwi can get a grip on it.

Mykiwibird

Amazon has the Vision cages plastic perches available.

Hari Vision Bird Cage Perch, Parakeet Perch, 2-Pack, Green, 83405

I feel like it offers more grip sizes in comparison to those plastic dowel perches if you need to use plastic
Thank you for taking the time to respond, I didn't even think of that! I usually steer clear of amazon after reading that some toys from them are super sketchy, but brand name perches are perfect lol!

Out of curiosity, would you steer clear of any of the other off brand perches? I get nervous about potential unsafe materials or dyes but idk if I'm overthinking it since it's pretty simple plastic perches. Thank you :)

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking the time to respond, I didn't even think of that! I usually steer clear of amazon after reading that some toys from them are super sketchy, but brand name perches are perfect lol!

Out of curiosity, would you steer clear of any of the other off brand perches? I get nervous about potential unsafe materials or dyes but idk if I'm overthinking it since it's pretty simple plastic perches. Thank you :)
No problem! I actually don't have a clear cut answer for you sorry. I don't think I would use any of the other plastic perches which since the ones I see are mostly dowel, it would probably also depend on the reviews (if they have a strong smell, etc). I've only ever used the vision ones previously for my budgie's vision cage and I remember not noticing any smell or anything which is why I'm more comfortable linking them specifically. I think conures can be pretty destructive with plastic though so I think it's a good idea to be a bit picky

Mykiwibird

You could go to the hardware store and but a small length of small diameter PVC pipe. cut it to fit THEN use a dreimal to "rough up" a bit so Kiwi can get a grip on it.
Oooo I actually have seen people do that and I always forget! That's an awesome idea thank you so much!

Mykiwibird

No problem! I actually don't have a clear cut answer for you sorry. I don't think I would use any of the other plastic perches which since the ones I see are mostly dowel, it would probably also depend on the reviews (if they have a strong smell, etc). I've only ever used the vision ones previously for my budgie's vision cage and I remember not noticing any smell or anything which is why I'm more comfortable linking them specifically. I think conures can be pretty destructive with plastic though so I think it's a good idea to be a bit picky
No of course, that's actually exactly the answer I was looking for, I figured it was better to be safe and stay away from any brands I'm not familiar with. Thank goodness kiwi isn't destructive with plastic, but I will definitely still stick with the vision perches and potentially some homemade PVC perches another suggested, thank you for taking the time to respond!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can't help with the plastic perches sorry but I am curious... Is your bird being medicated too or are the non porous housing accessories the only treatment plan you were given?

Mykiwibird

I can't help with the plastic perches sorry but I am curious... Is your bird being medicated too or are the non porous housing accessories the only treatment plan you were given?
Oh she's on meds lol. Currently on second round of amphotericin B twice daily, waiting for blood test results, fecal cultures, etc to see if there's something else underlying causing her not to get better. We already did 60 days of ampho b which she did seem a bit better after, but then got progressively worse again. May I ask do you have any experience with AGY? I'm still learning about it and always appreciate any advice, but if not thank you for your concerns :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh she's on meds lol. Currently on second round of amphotericin B twice daily, waiting for blood test results, fecal cultures, etc to see if there's something else underlying causing her not to get better. We already did 60 days of ampho b which she did seem a bit better after, but then got progressively worse again. May I ask do you have any experience with AGY? I'm still learning about it and always appreciate any advice, but if not thank you for your concerns :)
I do not have personal experience but @Macawnutz does. She may be able to offer some info or links for you.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think @Lady Jane may have some experience as well if I'm remembering correctly?
So sorry you and your sweetie are going through this.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the past i had 2 english budgies with yeast infections. One died and later on the other one was treated with Ampho successfully. Both the breeder and my avian vet told me most likely source was the parents or parent were carriers. I never worried about items in the cage. I know the budgie that died got it from parents because they both were tested by the breeder afterwards. I focused on the food that can get stuck in the crop and gets yeasty like corn kernels. Corn has alot of sugar which in turn enhances growth of yeast.

Yeast is produced in the body when the levels of natural bacteria are disrupted. This can happen in budgies when the food is left in the crop for too long because the acidity of the food and the environment changes and disrupts the digestive system’s natural balance. A specific type of fungus called candida mostly commonly causes yeast infections. After all that i began putting ACV in the drinking water monthly.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have a couple of those vision perches. And they are great, I also hang toys off of them as well using a pear link. Easy to clean, though I do have the usual rope and wood perches for Bailey to use…

all the best to you both! :heart: