• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When will there be an egg?

Cockatielmamaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
So Sammy and Sundance, both cockatiels, keep mating. They are in love for sure. I have everything set up for new babies. The nest box is affixed to the outside of the cage with the opening accessible through the inside. I have soft Aspen shavings as nesting material. They have been breeding for over a month now. They both frequent the nest box all day long. There still isn't any egg laying. Why? She is a big bodied yellow pearl. Nice and healthy in every aspect. He is a pied. What will I have and when? If you are going to ridicule me for breeding, I respect that, but please do not reply. Thank you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Don't use wood shavings as nesting material - I've always used actual coconut fiber or jute and a mix of both. As for when there will be eggs, your guess would be as good as mine. She'll lay eggs when she's ready to and I don't believe anyone can rush that.

I don't track my tiels - several couples make whoopy but not all lay eggs. It's something like watching water boil - as long as you're waiting and watching, it won't happen. Walk away and forget about it and you'll probably have eggs when you're not looking.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Not coconut shavings - it's coconut fiber - it's fairly rough fiber, literally the hairy outside part of the real coconut it's as rough as hair from a horse's mane or tail. coconut fiber - Google Search and jute is softer and almost looks like cut up thick thread - jute nesting fiber - Google Search

I usually use the coconut fiber at the bottom of the nestbox and put a soft layer of the jute over it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
How old are Sammy and Sundance again?

Sundance = heavy pied or cinnamon pearl split pied?
Sammy = Light pied

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My tiels usually lay eggs between January and March; summer weather in Australia! I your birds are less than a year old, no eggs this year, or if so, at the very end of the breeding season. I find the birds do best with egg production after their second year and on into their tenth; although I had a hen who produced eggs into her sixteenth year.

It is your business if you want to breed, no one else's. I stopped breeding due to the over population of tiels and the huge numbers of them in rescues. I loved breeding my tiels and raising the babies; one of the most wonderful and rewarding things I ever did with my life personally. I kept all but five the the babies I bred back then, so I didn't actually add to the over population problem. That first flock of birds are all dead and gone except one 17 year old hen who is still hanging on, and I have a new flock of all rescue birds except for three which were accidental breeding oops. If you want to breed, enjoy each moment of it and good luck to you.