• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When to stop handfeeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
That's one thing the guy I got Twinkle from told me, he said that even his adults wanted a squirt of the handfed formula and he would give it to them when they wanted it, he said it "kept them sweet". He was in his 80's. Even though Twinkle was younger than he said, I really liked him.

I went back to the parakeet food (zupreen fruity seeds mixed with parakeet seed) and she's back to one - two ML in the morning and night. Not the 5 ML 2-3 times a day again.

And she's eating more birdie bread, which makes me happy because it's loaded with good stuff, but she still won't even investigate the veggies. And so far she turns her beak up at the soaked pellets. I think she prefers them dry? :chin:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
That's one thing the guy I got Twinkle from told me, he said that even his adults wanted a squirt of the handfed formula and he would give it to them when they wanted it, he said it "kept them sweet". He was in his 80's. Even though Twinkle was younger than he said, I really liked him.

I went back to the parakeet food (zupreen fruity seeds mixed with parakeet seed) and she's back to one - two ML in the morning and night. Not the 5 ML 2-3 times a day again.

And she's eating more birdie bread, which makes me happy because it's loaded with good stuff, but she still won't even investigate the veggies. And so far she turns her beak up at the soaked pellets. I think she prefers them dry? :chin:
she probably does like them dry better, none of mine will touch them if they're even a little wet(from like their baths lol)

I have a couple who will throw a tantrum if their pellets get wet, until i dump them, dry out their bowl and refill it

the entire time i'm telling them well if you wouldn't of gone hog wild taking your bath you wouldn't of gotten your food wet, So why am I the one stuck cleaning a mess you made?

:lol: of course i never get a straight answer LOL

HeatherM74

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Heather
Kelli! I missed your last post. She's still only liking dry pellets, but Woodstock likes his wet. Silly birds.

Update on Twinkle - she's back to a couple of ML one time a day. I went back to the parakeet seed and pellets for now and am just mixing in a little cockatiel mix in with it, then the bread and the veggies. Must be the seed mix. Wasn't a fan of the cockatiel mix? Silly baby bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.