• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When to start harness training?

asrielshaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bethany
My IRN Asriel is about 13 weeks old. I haven't had him for that long but he's pretty comfortable with me. We've started with basic clicker training asking him to step up and he's been doing great! He definitely isn't totally comfortable with fingers yet though.
I know your bird needs to comfortable with you touching their head and wings in order to use a harness. Any advice for how to get him used to me touching him? Being a Ringneck, he probably won't be a fan of being touched, but I would love to be able to take him outside and get some sunlight.

As sort of a follow up question, should I wait until he matures a bit more before introducing the harness? He still has quite a bit of growing to do. At the same time, his brain is at a point where he's able to pick up on new things pretty quickly

Thank you! <3

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I began harness training with my 4 month (ish) old cockatiel, and it seemed to go well enough, until it didn't anymore. We had two successful outings with the harness, then he decided he was done with it for now and works himself up into such a frenzy that it's not even safe to try to get it on him. So we've paused for now. My next step in getting back to the harness is teaching him to 'place' on a T stand for as long as possible. Then while he's there, work on touching him all over again. He's so good at getting pet and scritches and kisses, but all bets are off when it comes to the harness! I would say from my own tried and failed experience, it's never too early to start, and I'd think it's never too late really either, as long as your bird trusts you. I'd start by introducing it to him so he is familiar with it in his space. Actually, if you look on YouTube at the Aviator Harness videos, there are a lot of great resources on training. I personally found the Aviator difficult to use, so I bought the AviatorWeb Harness, but haven't had the chance to try it yet.
Good luck, have fun, and go slow slow slow!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
The earlier you start, the easier it is. Typically. I would start getting him used to being loved on while harness is near him. Then progress to slipping over head and off quickly. Then moving to getting it more and more on and off quickly. All the while treating, praising and petting. Being so young it should not take long. Remember to work in small time frames, no more than 5 minutes each set several times a day and always end on a positive.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The earlier you start, the easier it is. Typically. I would start getting him used to being loved on while harness is near him. Then progress to slipping over head and off quickly. Then moving to getting it more and more on and off quickly. All the while treating, praising and petting. Being so young it should not take long. Remember to work in small time frames, no more than 5 minutes each set several times a day and always end on a positive.
I second that...Javi here said it best! Never too young to start. The earlier, the better. Just have it around him for a while to get used to it. Then try it.