• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When should a baby macaw start using thier feet to hold food and toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanant

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carrie
Ok so took Sophie to the vet for a well check and everything is fine but I forgot to ask the vet when will she start using her feet to hold food/toys? I am wondering why she still eats with her beak only? She picks up toys with her feet sometimes but puts it down then uses her beak. Any answers on this one?:D

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
At this stage, you want to offer easy to hold food items, instead of foot toys. Young macaws are so curious, and now is when it's important to have things such as small carrot sticks, red or orange pepper chunks, apple slices, pieces of papaya etc...handy where she can access them.
Dr. Speer discussed this with me when he met the 3 baby Green Wings I was raising. Lots of variety and veggies with bright colors!
I think what you describe is totally normal. Manipulating foods from foot to beak takes practise and balance:)

vanant

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carrie
I give her tons of fruits a veggies but maybe I'm cutting then to small. How big should I cut the pieces?

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Vary the sizes. Small pieces shouldn't make a difference, they can easily pick up single green peas or cherrios....it might be *where* the food items are placed. Try having her on a table, with foods set on a plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.