• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When is it safe to rehome a freshly weaned baby cockatiel?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
I’ve got this 10 week old and she’s been eating on her own for atleast a week and she no longer food cries
She was hand fed
I’m a bit paranoid though
I sold a baby to someone a month or so ago and they reported to me the baby suddenly stopped eating and unfortunately did not make it long enough by the time they realized to get help. I’m assuming regression?
anyway, it was pretty devastating to me.
I’ve noticed this one doesn’t have nearly as much in her belly as she used to but I see her eating. Someone wants to get her and frankly I’m just scared. What do you think?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is important to wait a couple of weeks after weaning to give the best chance of not regressing in the new home.
Other things that can help is educating buyers on the signs to look out for, as well as giving them a small pot of powdered formula should they need it, they can mix it and feed it on a small teaspoon.
I would suggest waiting until your bird is at least 12 weeks before selling her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hungry baby tiels will make a static- sounding noise. So that can be a sign that they're regressing if they have food available and are making that noise. You can also weigh the baby regularly to make sure it's not losing weight.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Weight is a very reliable indicator. But the best indicator is poop. Having plain paper (or none at all) under the cage will help give you and the new owner the best visibility to see what is going on.

Clear liquid, little solid = not eating
Dry poops, little liquid, mostly solid = not drinking / dehydration
No poops/ few poops = not eating or drinking or problem in the digestive tract/crop.