• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When does sneezing become a concern?

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Hey all! My budgie, Genji, has been sneezing extremely frequently (10-20+ times a day!!) but the thing is, they're 90% dry sneezes. Occasionally he has a wet sneeze that is completely clear and doesn't run. I've checked for anything in his nares and he's totally clear. There's no sneezing fits, but more he'll sneeze every 5 minutes for a bit, and then nothing for hours, and then maybe 1 or two every hour. Very sporadic.

I would be more concerned, but he's legitimately showing no signs of illness or irritation aside from the sneezing. Eating, drinking, breathing, activity level, affection, energy, sleeping normal, pooping normal, feathers are great - there is not a darn thing wrong with the little guy aside from the sneezes and it is so confusing!!

i'm wondering if it's due to how dry the air has been, or a winter allergy or something? He had a check up at the start of January and he was 100% okayed by our avian vet (he was having sneezing issues at that time, too). She suggested it was just dry air and dust - but even after buying an air purifier, there's been no change. very strange.

anyone have any ideas on what could be going on?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I think a humidifier would be helpful. You want one that is easy to disinfect weekly. I use a Crane 2.0 Drop (or Teardrop). It's for a baby room. It's easy to take apart and disinfect weekly. You can get it on amazon.com.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Since you’re already running a humidifier it may be worth it to buy a humidity reader. Here’s the one that I have:

Limited-time deal: ThermoPro TP49 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Humidity Meter Room Thermometer with Temperature and Humidity Monitor Mini Hygrometer Thermometer https://a.co/d/5gG5voe

At least then you’ll know what’s going on and can go from there

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Since you’re already running a humidifier it may be worth it to buy a humidity reader. Here’s the one that I have:

Limited-time deal: ThermoPro TP49 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Humidity Meter Room Thermometer with Temperature and Humidity Monitor Mini Hygrometer Thermometer https://a.co/d/5gG5voe

At least then you’ll know what’s going on and can go from there
ohhh thank you so much for this! I bought it straight away, hopefully this'll help me get a good idea of how dry it's gotten in here

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Oh good. At least then you'll know, and if the humidity looks good, then you can try to figure out what else it could be!

Where do you live, by the way?

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Oh good. At least then you'll know, and if the humidity looks good, then you can try to figure out what else it could be!

Where do you live, by the way?
I live on Vancouver Island in Canada! It's probably one of the more humid places up here, since I am at sea level, but the winters do tend to get a bit dry haha