• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do parrotlets start to get hormones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I know budgies, finches, and other small birds start to get their adult plumage along with hormones around 6-8months of age (doesn't necessarily mean that at that young age they are ready to breed) and they get hormones.

When should I expect a personality change for Squidy?

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
For Gwen it wasn't until she turned 2.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bella went through a broody phase (and laid eggs) at right around 1 year of age.

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
A year to two years is what I've always heard, sooner being a little more common. Not positive, though!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Okay then! I still have almost a year to two years until her hormones hit. WH00T!

What kind of parrotlet should I expect?

Squid is cuddly, lovable, squishy, soft, cute and all of the above xs 1000.

Will she become cage territorial?

She is in with Casper and Wilma, my two cockatiels.. to keep her company :) Will I need to order another cage soon for them two(or her?)? Im hoping since she is young, they'll get along when she is mature. So far everything is good...:p

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
It's hard to predict what they will turn out to be. Millie came into my life already over a year old and terrified. Owen was about 8-10 months.
Libby got her hormonal surges at about 8-10 months. She definitely started to get more cage territorial. She also guarded her food bowls!

Norman's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Do males get as hormonal as females? I have a male in with a male cockatiel- I got them at the same time, both were about 2 months old. The parrotlet just follows that one cockatiel around and will try to stand as close as possible to him. He will chase off the other cockatiels, but this one is his bud. They are currently 9-10 months old
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.