• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When are your Fids most talkative?

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Harry and George are pretty quiet, but can get loud by seven-ish in the evening if I haven't put them in their sleep cages.

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Nila talks into the cups while I empty the dishwasher. He also talks to glass bottles.
Sapphire just repeats her cycle of a few phrases for what feels like all day, though I do see her sleeping sometimes so she must have breaks. She has recently discovered that her voice sounds even better/louder when she talks in a tube, so she has been doing that a lot lately. I'm worried she is going to give herself long term hearing damage....

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I was curious and asked my avian vet why the birds like to talk to inanimate objects like glasses and tubes. She reminded me birds have a hearing threshold that extends above what humans have and they use the object as a sounding board to create new sounds only they and other birds can hear. In additon, cocks use every trick they can to augment their calls to help them compete with other cocks for the best songs. I have noticed it is mainly my cocks who like to use resonance chambers and when they find a really great area to tap and make loud sounds, they go crazy with their tapping.

I never cease to wonder at how pet birds adapt to our environment and use various objects to fulfill their instincts.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Joey talks all day, with three words on repeat - Mommy & Little Birdie. Like what @InTheAir said about her female ringneck, Sapphire, she must take breaks at some point - I've just never seen her really "nap":p. I wonder what Joey would do if I gave her a tube?

Sammy talks mostly all day, but keeps it at an "indoor" level - until about 5 or 6 in the evening. Then he does his full quaker speech, loud and proud.

The budgies are most active in the morning. You'll hear excited chatter and bickering. Then they quiet down in the afternoon and perk up around the same time Sam does (I think he gets them riled up- Fredrik must speak quaker, either that or Sammy speaks budgie...lol) The one thing that will always get the budgies chirping is running water. They love that sound. :laugh::D

Chihuahua

Now Gabby just randomly talks when he feels like it... if he is on the floor sometimes he will say "step up" as I lean down to get him back where he belongs. Sometimes he'll say "hello" or "hi Gabby." No pattern that I've seen.

sgtpepper

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raeann
Pepper will talk while IN my shirt so the hanging quietly there doesn't work. It did but in the past week or so she has become more talkative.

She has really become a great mimick of my dogs squeaky toys. I think she knows it messes with the blind one.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Kiwi doesn't speak per-se, but he does go nuts vocalizing in the shower and after his flapping exercises. They aren't loud noises, but are the most hilarious noises you've ever heard come out of a parrot! He sometimes "babbles" when playing in my lap (our nightly bonding time;)), which is soooooooooo cute:heart: I wish he did that more, it almost sounds like he's trying to form words (though, approaching 17 y/o, I doubt he'll magically start talking one day).

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What's a "fid"?
If you ever see an abbreviation that you don't know what it means, scroll over it with your mouse and a little tool bar will pop up with the definition in it. :)