• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's your method of Speech Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibanks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tina
Having 3 grey's is an adventure all of it's own..we don't ever have a dull birdy day here. I have two that talk very well, however it's not because I've sat and taught them, it's more of what they've heard me saying around the house when communicating with my 5 y/o son or calling the dogs etc...It's not the lack of me talking to them I talk to them all day. I guess I'm not one that repeats a phrase over and over till my bird gets it, but I talk to them like I do to my family members. If they talk I will often time's mimic them back sometimes I feel like the parrot. They just tend to pick up whatever they want to say w/o me practicing a desired word or phrase, and then once I hear them saying whatever I tend to say it back to them.

I also notice that they pick up things from each other, my cag has learned much of her vocab from Granny the tag. I've also noticed things I've been saying for years to Granny like Good Morning which she never repeated until Ruby the Cag started saying it.

I do notice that some greys talk when spoken to, like a conversation back and forth. This is something I don't get much of here, is this something that is taught?

We have a small house 1400 sf with a open floor plan, and the parrot's are set up in the dining area where they see and hear every thing that goes on in the main living area's. Because I have multiple birds I have to rotate play time between two area's and me. I think I'd actually like to do some individual speech training and I wonder what methods others us?

Status
Not open for further replies.