• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's wrong with our hammy???

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
she is acting aggressive lately and biting when we try to handle her. We have had her since last x mas and she has always been the most docile hammy I've ever met. Why all of a sudden would she be so aggressive? She has a nice large dyi enclosure. Plenty of toys and food. Nothing has really changed except maybe we have not been handling her as much lately just due to being a bit more busy with life stuff but any ideas as to what we should do to "fix" her?

Thanks

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have no idea about hamsters but my first inclination is that maybe she doesn't feel good? :( I hope I'm wrong though

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
May be a good idea to get your hamster checked out by a vet.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Have you changed lotions/soaps/etc? Made sure to wash your hands prior? Noticed any constipation/excessive urination/other health issues? Is she per chance exhibiting signs of heat or hormonal behavior?

If you've got all that covered and everything looks fine you might have to try another taming process and/or have a vet check her if you're nervous about it. My Syrian was always a biter and never truly tamed so I can't help you there.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Well after a week of trial and error it seems that she's just moody and only receptive to handling at certain times. She particularly doesn't like being woke up and handled so we try not to do that anymore and if we do then we make sure we do it gently and with treats. That seems to have worked for the most part.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Um...most hamsters do not like to be woken up...They sleep during the day...and up most of the night..I only had Syrian hamsters growing up. I have heard that females tend to be a bit more nippier...my sister had a female that nipped every time you picked it up. I had a female that was very sweet, lived 3 years and never nipped me. My brother had a male, and one of my son's had a male, those 2 never nipped. I'm not sure if maybe they might become a bit hand shy if you don't handle them for awhile.. I do believe there are some birds that can be the same way. So only handle at night or very early morning..and handle often!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Um...most hamsters do not like to be woken up...They sleep during the day...and up most of the night..I only had Syrian hamsters growing up. I have heard that females tend to be a bit more nippier...my sister had a female that nipped every time you picked it up. I had a female that was very sweet, lived 3 years and never nipped me. My brother had a male, and one of my son's had a male, those 2 never nipped. I'm not sure if maybe they might become a bit hand shy if you don't handle them for awhile.. I do believe there are some birds that can be the same way. So only handle at night or very early morning..and handle often!
I've never woken a hamster just to handle it but if huge hands woke me up in the middle of the night I'd be irritated too :lol: