• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what's with the 'like'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
okay, i'm sure the 'like' thing is directly related to facebook but i dont facebook.... <gasp> yep that's right, i dont have a facebook page and have never been to facebook...apparently you have to have a page to look at a page.... but anyway...
what exactly does the 'like' mean? does it mean you agree? you just like what they have to say? if i 'like' a post what does it do? does it have a purpose other than to just say, 'yup, i LIKE what you have to say'?
:confused:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't have facebook either, so I don't know how it might be used there. I've had to come up with my own rules based on my feelings and how I see others using it, but I have wondered also.

When I use it, I have something like this in my mind:
I like/love your post, ...that's neat/interesting. ...I agree with what the person is saying, ................"ditto",.......
thank-you I appreciate your post,......... I don't really have the time or mental ability right now to craft a reply but wanted you to know I enjoyed/agreed with your post..........congrats!

When someone is posting something sad, I don't feel "like" is appropriate so if I can't really think what to say I will do heart or sadhug emoticons

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Yes, all of what you said, and also, it's an acknowledgment of having read the post, and having liked it and/or agreed with it. Some people will reply with that post as a quote and comment on their agreement. It's another form of communication on this Forum:)

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
Thanks very much. i just wanted to be sure i understood the 'like' to be what i thought it was. i guess kinda like using another language and find out you're not saying what you thought you were saying. :huh:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Sometimes I wish there was a DO NOT LIKE button, similar to the thumbs down I guess. Maybe disagreement should be anonymous, but I would want my name to show, just as it does when I "Like" a post.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, as others mentioned, it means you enjoyed the post, found it valuable or insightful, or agreed with what they said. And, also, some members use it as a form of communication with members they wish to converse with. For instance, I'll sometimes wait to "like" a post until I've posted a reply. That way, the person I replied to will see the "like" and be more likely to come back to the thread and see my reply and maybe respond to me. :) So, it can work as a "heads up" to the OP or another member that you've read their post.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Yep, as others mentioned, it means you enjoyed the post, found it valuable or insightful, or agreed with what they said. And, also, some members use it as a form of communication with members they wish to converse with. For instance, I'll sometimes wait to "like" a post until I've posted a reply. That way, the person I replied to will see the "like" and be more likely to come back to the thread and see my reply and maybe respond to me. :) So, it can work as a "heads up" to the OP or another member that you've read their post.
Exactly, Holiday. I often do this myself, as I just did with you :D

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Sometimes I wish there was a DO NOT LIKE button, similar to the thumbs down I guess. Maybe disagreement should be anonymous, but I would want my name to show, just as it does when I "Like" a post.
People have also been demanding a "dislike" button on Facebook forever, but it doesn't seem like they're going to give it to us!
I approve of the "like" button. Other forums I frequent don't have this option, but rather "thank you for this useful post." Which isn't always applicable when you just want to express appreciation of a cute photo or story, or that you agree with a statement.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Why have a 'do not like' button? That old negativity rearing it's ugly head again. My mom said..."if you don't have anything nice to say.......";)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And also...
I think that the Like button can be used to be polite too.
If someone like a picture I posting, and they say so in the thread, I "Like" them back. It's polite and good manners to me. :)

I Like the Like button! ♥ (and I don't have facebook)

Agree with Carole, I say NO to a "Do not like button"! Your mom was wise! :)

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Why have a 'do not like' button? That old negativity rearing it's ugly head again. My mom said..."if you don't have anything nice to say.......";)
If everyone applied that behavior there would be no need for a "do not like" button. However, they don't. Many posts are rude. I normally ignore the rude posts, just like your mom advised. Once in a while I'd like to have the means to say, "HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU????" without posting a long diatribe and getting a war going. Hence the "do not like" button. That's all.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I give lots of likes, because I use it to both indicate 'I agree' & 'well-said.' If I dislike a comment, I'll either ignore the rest of the post, or will state why I disagree. I think having a 'dislike' button is NOT a good idea, as it'd discourage participation in discussions (who would want to get 15 or 20 'dislikes'?) If I 'disagree' & feel strongly, I can say so in a post.

I don't use Facebook, either, though Hubby created a page for me...(?):huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.