• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what's the best way

yueyue

Meeting neighbors
I don't want to sound like I know everything but since owning a caique from juvenile and having friends with well trained caiques. I find it weird to see people's caiques with problems.

I have some advice it may or may not be right but from experience and some advice from professional bird owners over here in Hong Kong.

Let's start by some difference in raising baby parrots or caiques over here. So here in Hong Kong room is a issue so not all birds live in such big cages but it's enough. Feeding formula doesn't stop even when the bird is a adult only the amount changes to 10ml or less it makes bonding easier and good for his well being in small amounts. Kinda like bird regurgitating they find it comforting.

When the bird does something wrong you say a firm "NO" not loud not high pitched not smiling and eyes a bit narrowed. You don't need to be the boss of him but he needs to know from the start he can't boss you around or bully you. You are buddy's friends or mates and you need respect.

Don't ever be too good to him from the beginning even if you want to. They live on habit and if they start living the good rich life they will have problems down the road when just a tiny little thing happen bad or good. Like feather plucking screaming.

I don't mean like don't give him anything.

yueyue

Meeting neighbors
I believe they don't need that much toys to be honest I think 8-10 toys is enough to amuse them and replace any that breaks. If you give them a lot from the start they will get use to it and you will have to buy a lot in short amounts of time.

Pellets also if you start by giving them veggie,fruits and seeds they will become picky eaters. Start by only giving them pellets and veggies as treats they will then believe veggies are special and gobble them up since we all know pellets are bleh. After awhile start giving veggies daily if you want they will then finish everything you give them since its not pellets. Now you can introduce seeds but only as "treats only". This will make the accept different foods more cause who wants to eat pellets. Its not the end of the world if they don't eat veggies daily in the long run.

Cage time is good time. When you first get them don't let them have free access in and out of the cage do not let them out extended periods of time or for the whole day. I know it might seem cruel but they need to learn to play alone inside the cage else they will have nothing to do in the cage and always want to be let out and when they don't get let out they scream, throw tantrums and pluck. They are creatures of habit if they get use to something and it changes bad things happen. Always let them out of the cage by stepping up and not them walking out by themselves. I believe this makes it easier for them to step up and they are more respectful of you since stepping up means fun outside time. It also will make them know this is your place and the cage is theirs.

For them to accepting different people I believe having people formula feed them will make them accept different people. Since regurgitating is the birdy way of saying we are good buddy here's some food. It makes bonding faster and it's good for them in small amounts. Almost all birds love formula so them taking it from a stranger is easier use a needle or spoon. 10ml or less of formula is enough everyday.

Most important I think is that all caiques must know at least one trick it helps you stop them from doing anything you don't want them to do. I suggest roll over. It makes it so they do the trick instead of anything else and helps them focus back on you since they will almost always want the treat. Great way to distract them from unwanted behavior. When training them don't always give them the treat when they do the trick when they are good at it. This avoids them hating you or throwing a tantrum when you don't give them a teat. Try giving them a treat when they do the trick 2 times or 3.

How to teach roll over or stay on your back:
Hold the treat and have them focus you
Say the Command
Palms open and use the back of the hand and gently push them over
When they roll back over or stay on the back give them the treat.
Repeat until you they do it automatically.
They might not listen to command and just know the hand sign which is your palm open and waving mimicking pushing them but your hand is not touching them and above him.

tldr: Everything might seem strict but birds are animals of habit they won't know better unless you introduce it. They are happy with the healthy basics. Do not Spoil them else your life might become hard to deal with and that makes the bird and you unhappy. Birds learn by trying and if they never experience it bad things happen. They can't be use to living the good life else plucking or tantrums will occur down the line when something small changes.

Here's a picture of my baby's all well trained will step up for anyone and all know 3 tricks. I sometimes give them to my friends to take care of or my boyfriend they love him since he's not strict. I'll upload a video of the tricks later on 11802041_10206455495359031_442334650_n.jpg IMG_4816.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

ShaunaR

Sitting on the front steps
Thanks Irish! I agree with yueyue on most points. The comment on toys I disagree with though. Pixie is MUCH beter behaved when I switch out her toys on a weekly basis. She gets more exercise exploring the new toys and when she gets back a favorite toy she hasn't had in awhile she really goes to town on it. I appreciate hearing how people in other cultures care for their birds. The approach to vegetables and feeding is particularly interesting. Our Avian Vet would freak out about feeding formula to adults but it sounds like it works and it's based on good reasoning. As long as the bird has good feathering, color, and shine and good blood work whatever you are feeding is adequate.