• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's for breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I need more ideas, especially for a birdie with a huge appetite. Some mornings, we have scrambled eggs with shells or brown rice with chunks of apples and unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon sprinkled on top. No matter what's on the menu, Sophie has to start out her morning with toast. :rolleyes: No judgements please... she eats a good variety of foods now, compared to what she was eating at her old house (sunflower seeds, animal crackers, and cheese), the ends off of a slice of whole grain toast won't hurt her. Although, I'd love to slather homemade applebutter or some sort of nut butter on it some day... :hehe: But, I think the princess would pitch a fit.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Not sure yet what's on todays' menu - 2 more hours till Coco is awake and wanting breakfast. But I have some left-over brown rice in the fridge, likely today I'll chop some papaya into it and some bok choy. (with sprouts over top)
Quite often, breakfast is simply lots of chopped fresh vegetables and a bit of fruit. Some days I put a few small squares of bird bread on top.
To change the chopped veggie mix, once in awhile I add some cooked kamut rotini.
Toast - Coco gets small pieces at times, always with a little almond butter or sunflower seed butter.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
This is breakfast here:
IMG_6029.jpg

Her thawed "chop" + fresh red bell pepper + fresh kale + mung bean and millet sprouts + fresh mango

Breakfast is usually the meal where she really digs in, so I like to load her up with goodness :D

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Awesome!! They both sound..umm...yummy? :lol: For some reason, I don't like to serve veggies in the morning. Here, it seems that the evening meal gets devoured more quickly. They act as if they haven't eaten all day. Poor starving creatures! :rolleyes:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
The birds aren't up begging for breakfast, so I'm still in bed, hehe!

Breakfast today... probably a tsp of Hemp Berry Pudding that I made yesterday... chopped up red bell peppers. some apple, and chinese pear... celery, and lots and lots of sprouts :D
Not sure what else we have in the fridge in way of greens... we probably need to go grocery shopping soon >.>

I'll post pics when I'm done :D

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Breakfast is usually the meal where she really digs in, so I like to load her up with goodness :D[/QUOTE]

Agreed! breakfast is the ideal time to introduce new or healthier foods. Dinner is more of a challenge, as parrots 'graze' all day and are far less hungry at dinnertime.
The breakfast in your photo looks wonderful!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Usually I thaw some frozen mash for their breakfast or cook it fresh. But I'm out of frozen, and I was feeling lazy, so this morning they got chopped fresh veggies (carrots, peppers, turnips), AO Mango Ginger Minis and Rustic Ribbons, Meg's Parrot Toffee recipe, and pecans.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Megan, if that's your version of lazy, I'd hate to hear what you think of mine. :o:

Hemp berry pudding? Wow! Sounds gourmet-ish. :hehe:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds don't have any concept of what is "breakfast foods" and "dinner foods". :) In fact, her chop mix has garlic and pepper flakes in it, but I often stir in thawed frozen berries or other "sweet" things. She likes it all the same. I think its best to give them healthy foods all day long! Birds really don't eat that much, there's not a lot of room for junk IMO. But then again, I'm a stickler for nutrition, I'm no fun when it comes to that lol

Last edited:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I know I know...I humanize my birds and my dogs. But, most of them didn't have the best of times at their old homes. And, I think they deserve a bit of spoiling. A bit. I know the difference between spoiling a little and overindulging a lot. For instance, I have 2 birds that like to be rocked. Now...I know they just enjoy being held. And, it's ME that really enjoys the rocking and the closeness. It's a win-win situation :D

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Today they got a pretty basic meal, they have had their chop all week so they got a break from that. I had nachos frijoles I made with mixed diced veggies, and bird bread. Everyone was digging in! Tomorrow is strawberries day, I hate the cleanup! :eek:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Tomorrow is strawberries day, I hate the cleanup! :eek:
I've been feeding a lot of raspberries and hibiscus lately. i've got red splotches all over the cage, my walls, the floor! The better it stains, the farther it gets flung, i swear.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Megan, if that's your version of lazy, I'd hate to hear what you think of mine. :o:

Hemp berry pudding? Wow! Sounds gourmet-ish. :hehe:

LOL! It only took maybe 5 minutes to chop and throw a bunch of stuff into the dishes, it just sounds more complicated:p Of course the lovies didn't like the selection of veggies this morning, so they just ate the other stuff:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.