• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What works to train a U2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As far as I can tell, there is not a certain way to train a bird to stay off certain things. I think your playing with fire to let her roam at free will personally. I don't like seeing cockatoos on the floor. They get into all kinds of trouble, including getting a little out of control, aggressive, causing the owner to burn out fast from constantly needing to watch the bird to maintain the lifestyle they feel it should have with all this freedom and then they end up looking for a new home. I try to keep my birds trained to stay on their playgyms or on their cages. If they are off their cage or playgym, then they are on me. No roaming the floors just 'cause they feel like it. My cockatoos are both magnets for electircal cords. Since your bird has so many damaged flight feathers and probably can't fly, now is the time to take advantage of her limited mobility and start training her to stay where you want her to stay. You can attach plexiglass sheets to the side of the cage making it difficult to climb down. You can get a playstand that is high enough that she won't want to jump down. Get those behavioral patterns in place now, so that when she grows out her flight feathers, she won't be quite so difficult.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
As far as I can tell, there is not a certain way to train a bird to stay off certain things. I think your playing with fire to let her roam at free will personally. I don't like seeing cockatoos on the floor. They get into all kinds of trouble, including getting a little out of control, aggressive, causing the owner to burn out fast from constantly needing to watch the bird to maintain the lifestyle they feel it should have with all this freedom and then they end up looking for a new home. I try to keep my birds trained to stay on their playgyms or on their cages. If they are off their cage or playgym, then they are on me. No roaming the floors just 'cause they feel like it. My cockatoos are both magnets for electircal cords. Since your bird has so many damaged flight feathers and probably can't fly, now is the time to take advantage of her limited mobility and start training her to stay where you want her to stay. You can attach plexiglass sheets to the side of the cage making it difficult to climb down. You can get a playstand that is high enough that she won't want to jump down. Get those behavioral patterns in place now, so that when she grows out her flight feathers, she won't be quite so difficult.
I plan on getting one of those playstands next month....I paid alot of money to rescue Sierra and get her a suitable cage. One step at a time right now she only has a few toys but she is out of that dog crate her owners before me had her in and that was my main goal....I was planning on rescueing and rehoming not falling in love with her and keep her for myself but oh well she is better off with me anyway:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.