• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What works to train a U2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I recently rescued a U2. The people that had her kept her in a dog crate. As soon as I seen her living conditions I had to have her. I went out and bought the biggest cage I could get and offered the people money for her. I normally dont pay for rescues but this was an emergency case. Now I have her and I let her roam around my house freely during the day and at night she is put up and covered. She is healthy besides all the broken feathers she has due to not being able to expand her wings in that crate. I want her to have free range of my home but stay off certain things like my computer. Is there away to train a U2 to stay off of certain things or am I just gunna have to deal with it??
I dont miind dealing with it but if there are some training tips out there I would love to learn more.

Katelyn768

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katelyn
I have to watch my M2 constantly! He eats my blinds, bed frame, molding, anything he can get his beak on.... even caught him drinking out of my betta fish tank one day! I know this doesn't give any advice I'd just be careful leaving her out unattended.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
Awww - thank you for rescuing her! Congratulations! Coco lives cage free, and she has successfully learned her space v. my space. She learned quite quickly, in part because I raised her from a chickling to live cage free. It may take time, and there are also all sorts of degrees of cage free. Fully cage free does not work for every bird or home. I do it like I would do with a child - redirection, reinforcement, rewards for staying in her space, and making it as intriguing and with as many foraging and stimulating options as possible.

I believe it has helped Coco greatly is that her spaces are defined by a different flooring. I think it is a good visual. I just use enameled masonite over plywood, and that goes on top the carpet. Coco is in her own bedroom, and I have 3 budgies in a large enclosure, next to her space, that share the room with her.

In part I believe it depends on the bird's personality, and just how much time you have to work with them toward successfully living cage free in a mutually beneficial relationship (meaning they are safe, and your house doesn't get torn up!) I designed Coco's space and my husband built it, and I am constantly moving things around to improve and stimulate her. For the computer area, you may be able to set up a play stand that is near the space so that she can hang out on that instead of the keyboard while you are working on the computer. ;)

Remember that you have already improved her life a zillion percent. It will be wonderful as the two of you work together to create a relationship that is mutually beneficial to both of you, and in the meantime, both of you will enjoy the journey!
PICT0558.jpg

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes, heavily reinforce being on the things you want her on. If you want her on a play stand, first attach a few of her favorite toys on there. I also wrap treats like nuts in muffin wrappers and stuff them around on the stand. If she likes your attention, go over to her and reinforce her and pet her every so often. The key really is making it more reinforcing to be where you want her. If what she likes is to chew wood and that is why she goes to certain things, make sure you outfit her stand with hunks of wood! There is a great sale going on here right now, where many vendors are offering great deals. This is a good time for you to stock up! For my Meyers, even 12" chunks of 2 x 4 make him very happy to chew on:)

I recently rescued a U2. The people that had her kept her in a dog crate. As soon as I seen her living conditions I had to have her. I went out and bought the biggest cage I could get and offered the people money for her. I normally dont pay for rescues but this was an emergency case. Now I have her and I let her roam around my house freely during the day and at night she is put up and covered. She is healthy besides all the broken feathers she has due to not being able to expand her wings in that crate. I want her to have free range of my home but stay off certain things like my computer. Is there away to train a U2 to stay off of certain things or am I just gunna have to deal with it??
I dont miind dealing with it but if there are some training tips out there I would love to learn more.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I have to watch my M2 constantly! He eats my blinds, bed frame, molding, anything he can get his beak on.... even caught him drinking out of my betta fish tank one day! I know this doesn't give any advice I'd just be careful leaving her out unattended.
She is never left unattended we learned that one the hard way. When we have to leave the home she either comes with or goes into her cage dont like her being in the cage for long periods of time during the day but sometimes its a must if we are gone. We left her out once and lost part of a wall and wires to the T.v game system and some other things too. So now she has lots of toys in her cage to keep her occupied if we have to go out with her.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
JLCribber is a member on here who has created a really cool, cage free environment for his two U2s also. I think that they sleep in cages at night though. Look for pictures, or maybe he will come on here and share. He even tells how he made it safe and too proof!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
This is all so cool. Did you make it all? Does Coco not chew on all the wood? It looks so pristine!

Awww - thank you for rescuing her! Congratulations! Coco lives cage free, and she has successfully learned her space v. my space. She learned quite quickly, in part because I raised her from a chickling to live cage free. It may take time, and there are also all sorts of degrees of cage free. Fully cage free does not work for every bird or home. I do it like I would do with a child - redirection, reinforcement, rewards for staying in her space, and making it as intriguing and with as many foraging and stimulating options as possible.

I believe it has helped Coco greatly is that her spaces are defined by a different flooring. I think it is a good visual. I just use enameled masonite over plywood, and that goes on top the carpet. Coco is in her own bedroom, and I have 3 budgies in a large enclosure, next to her space, that share the room with her.

In part I believe it depends on the bird's personality, and just how much time you have to work with them toward successfully living cage free in a mutually beneficial relationship (meaning they are safe, and your house doesn't get torn up!) I designed Coco's space and my husband built it, and I am constantly moving things around and trying to provide as much interest and foraging opportunities as possible to increase the value of her space from her perspective. For the computer area, you may be able to set up a play stand that is near the space so that she can hang out on that instead of the keyboard while you are working on the computer. ;)

Remember that you have already improved her life a zillion percent. It will be a wonderful as the two of you work together to create a relationship that is mutually beneficial to both of you, and in the meantime, both of you will enjoy the journey!
View attachment 119814

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Make a big gi-normous happy deal when she's out and on what she can be on and quietly remove her from what she can't be on. What you reinforce CONSISTENTLY (that means ALL the time) is the behavior you will get. What you ignore most generally will be minimized but not entirely extinguished. Good Luck, she's gorgeous.

Ginger

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
This is all so cool. Did you make it all? Does Coco not chew on all the wood? It looks so pristine!
Oh, darling - it is far from pristine!:rofl: Yes, we made it all. It is designed with removable/replaceable pieces. We try to wait until something is really trashed before we replace it. It is like her art work, and we don't want to be disrespectful by throwing it away!:lol:

Exhibit "A": 26446_1241229351233_1244281970_30602967_5802669_n.jpg

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Oh, now I see that spot in the picture!!!

Oh, darling - it is far from pristine!:rofl: Yes, we made it all. It is designed with removable/replaceable pieces. We try to wait until something is really trashed before we replace it. It is like her art work, and we don't want to be disrespectful by throwing it away!:lol:

Exhibit "A": View attachment 119815

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
I like that set up might have my husband take a look at that and build something like that for Sierra

In part I believe it depends on the bird's personality, and just how much time you have to work with them toward successfully living cage free in a mutually beneficial relationship (meaning they are safe, and your house doesn't get torn up!) I designed Coco's space and my husband built it, and I am constantly moving things around to improve and stimulate her. For the computer area, you may be able to set up a play stand that is near the space so that she can hang out on that instead of the keyboard while you are working on the computer. ;)

Remember that you have already improved her life a zillion percent. It will be wonderful as the two of you work together to create a relationship that is mutually beneficial to both of you, and in the meantime, both of you will enjoy the journey!
View attachment 119814

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Thats a good idea seen the pic above and am thinking of having some things made for her for in the house. wouldnt of thought about stashing treats in it thats a good idea thank you;)
Yes, heavily reinforce being on the things you want her on. If you want her on a play stand, first attach a few of her favorite toys on there. I also wrap treats like nuts in muffin wrappers and stuff them around on the stand. If she likes your attention, go over to her and reinforce her and pet her every so often. The key really is making it more reinforcing to be where you want her. If what she likes is to chew wood and that is why she goes to certain things, make sure you outfit her stand with hunks of wood! There is a great sale going on here right now, where many vendors are offering great deals. This is a good time for you to stock up! For my Meyers, even 12" chunks of 2 x 4 make him very happy to chew on:)

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
K I will look him up thank you
JLCribber is a member on here who has created a really cool, cage free environment for his two U2s also. I think that they sleep in cages at night though. Look for pictures, or maybe he will come on here and share. He even tells how he made it safe and too proof!

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Thank you I will try that...
Make a big gi-normous happy deal when she's out and on what she can be on and quietly remove her from what she can't be on. What you reinforce CONSISTENTLY (that means ALL the time) is the behavior you will get. What you ignore most generally will be minimized but not entirely extinguished. Good Luck, she's gorgeous.

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The more playstands and bird areas for a U2 is how you keep them off your stuff...for the most part.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Also I know my U2s are ground birds. So I litter the ground with foot toys.:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As you now know they can't be left alone unsupervised. IMO you can train them until your hair turns blue. It's not going to stop them from wanting to explore and the minute they know they are alone they aren't going to pass up the opportunity to do whatever they want. They are opportunists and very independent thinkers who are always ready to take advantage of a situation.

If you have nothing but time to spend training to stay somewhere it will work but remember "when opportunity knocks", they never miss a thing and will always be ready to take advantage of that.

I would ask you how much space can you devote especially to her? The best thing you can do for any large parrot is provide an aviary (or secure room) but especially for cockatoos so they don't have to spend their waking hours in a cage. This also gives them access to the floor which I think they also really need.

That way you can give them the freedom you (and they) desire safely without having to "constantly" watch them. No training or behaviour modification needed.

IMO because they are such high strung birds that are always aware, it really does help to use sleep cages in a dark quiet place so they have the opportunity to actually "come down" and actually relax so they get a full restful undisturbed sleep. A well rested cockatoo is a better behaved cockatoo.

It's not that hard or expensive to build an indoor aviary. I'm on my phone and its hard to post a link. There's a sticky in the cage section on how I built them for my birds.

Last edited:

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Thank you I will look for the how to build bird cage page thank you again;)
As you now know they can't be left alone unsupervised. IMO you can train them until your hair turns blue. It's not going to stop them from wanting to explore and the minute they know they are alone they aren't going to pass up the opportunity to do whatever they want. They are opportunists and very independent thinkers who are always ready to take advantage of a situation.

If you have nothing but time to spend training to stay somewhere it will work but remember "when opportunity knocks", they never miss a thing and will always be ready to take advantage of that.

I would ask you how much space can you devote especially to her? The best thing you can do for any large parrot is provide an aviary (or secure room) but especially for cockatoos so they don't have to spend their waking hours in a cage. This also gives them access to the floor which I think they also really need.

That way you can give them the freedom you (and they) desire safely without having to "constantly" watch them. No training or behaviour modification needed.

IMO because they are such high strung birds that are always aware, it really does help to use sleep cages in a dark quiet place so they have the opportunity to actually "come down" and actually relax so they get a full restful undisturbed sleep. A well rested cockatoo is a better behaved cockatoo.

It's not that hard or expensive to build an indoor aviary. I'm on my phone and its hard to post a link. There's a sticky in the cage section on how I built them for my birds.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
This is all very interesting. I keep my Scarlet Macaw in my livingroom. He has his own 'area' that he is out on all day. He has a cage and a play 'tree' (i call it his totem pole cause he likes to sit on top like an eagle on the top of a totem pole! :hehe: ) He basically stays in his area when i'm not home. If i'm home and he decides he want to sit with me, he will waddle over to me. He has lived this way for 3 years or so and is a really happy bird for it. I just converted my spare room into a bird room that Caleb (M2) stays in when i'm not home. He also has a large cage but the door to that cage is only closed at bedtime. My house is cinderblock and since its a corner room, 2 of the 4 walls are solid cinder block with paint over it. Even an M2 would take a bit of time tunneling thru cinder block! :hehe: Since i made the change he is a much happier guy and more willing to go to his 'room'. Now my YNA on the other hand? I spent two years trying to teach him to stay in his 'area'. He finally taught ME that i just have to keep an eye on him if he's out. Now if i have to run to the store for 20 mins or less, he will stay on his cage when i'm not home. But if i'm gone for more than an hour or so he will come looking for me and then all bets are off! :lol:

Mare

Hit the Road
My G2 can get into mischief, while unattended outside her cage, nothing too bad, though, a torn page on a book, a couple chunks taken out of a flip-flop,,,able to live with things. There is no way, I would trust my U2 unattended in my home, for more than 30 seconds, if even that. His beak can take a HUGE chunk out of a piece of antique furniture, in the blink of an eye, demolish a floorboard, in a heartbeat, take an integral part out of a crocheted blanket that your great-great grandma made, just by leaving the room, for a couple seconds, to grab something in the kitchen!

i don't believe there is a way to train them to be left alone, outside of some kind of enclosure, for too long, these are only my experiences, maybe others have better trained U2s!

Status
Not open for further replies.