• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What? When did these colors

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not certain but Leucistic is what I think it is called.
It is a mutation where the colour pigment is different/missing I believe- something similar to albinism.
I have seen the odd one with this in pics of some of them in the wild but not often. Seems like a few places are breeding specifically for this look for some reason.

@expressmailtome or @Macawnutz may be able to explain it better.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
It is a mutation where the colour pigment is different/missing I believe- something similar to albinism.
I have seen the odd one with this in pics of some of them in the wild but not often. Seems like a few places are breeding specifically for this look for some reason.

Thanks, I understand breeding for color but usually it ends up muted. These are beautifully vibrant.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Not quite. The one with yellow, is actually an opaline mutation blue and gold macaw, and the blue, black and white one is a blue mutation blue and gold macaw. It does get confusing!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not quite. The one with yellow, is actually an opaline mutation blue and gold macaw, and the blue, black and white one is a blue mutation blue and gold macaw. It does get confusing!
Thank you... I am confused at the best of times but when it comes to this stuff I get real lost lol

I see a few breeders now pumping these out- I do like the look of the blue and white ones but I still think the Burt and Korbel ones are so much nicer to look at :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you... I am confused at the best of times but when it comes to this stuff I get real lost lol

I see a few breeders now pumping these out- I do like the look of the blue and white ones but I still think the Burt and Korbel ones are so much nicer to look at :)
There are also cinnamon, lutino, albino (blue and lutino mutations combined) and pied blue and golds.