• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of Conure?

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
I was looking at a local rescue, and I saw this cutie.
image.jpg
I'm not to smart with the colors and variations, can someone name this color? Thanks! I was wanting to do some research on the size and such before I go out and get a cage.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are welcome. They are a beautiful species.

Matt

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hug8:

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Yes, a beautiful Gold Capped. :heart:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh are you adopting? Wonderful, wonderful birds. I have mine in an hq flight cage although a little bigger would be okay.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh are you adopting? Wonderful, wonderful birds. I have mine in an hq flight cage although a little bigger would be okay.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but do the aratingas have the same propensity to cage/food aggression as the little guys? A cage with swing out feeder doors is a must with my small conures.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Gold capped conures ARE aratingas and so are pretty loud. But they can be good pets if your living situation is right (not an apartment, etc).

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's very pretty! Do your research on these beauties, as Pentameter said conures of the Aratinga species have a very loud decimal level to their vocals. You might be able to find a youtube video to listen or just hang out for a while at the rescue and get to know it better. Good luck!

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Oh, what a cute gold capped conure:xflove:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
From the gold caps I've heard, they're basically sun conures in green suits! LOUD!

Jayde isn't food aggressive or possessive, but Charlie can be! He doesn't like it when I mess with his food or water bowls *ESPECIALLY* right after refilling them up! Also hates the container I use to measure out his food with and then to place inside his food dish! :rolleyes:

Ark

Avenue Veteran
Aw, come on... I for one think the loudness of Aratinga conures is overrated! But I've also never owned any other type of parrot, so... biased here.

I've been keeping an eye on local PA rescues too. Were you thinking of adopting the Hahn's macaw listed with this conure too, @Tweet ? Or just looking for conure-sized cages in general?

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
What a lovely conure! So happy you are adopting. I really want more people to adopt untill people stop breeding parrots and they can live how they were ment to be, free!!

Hugs:hug8:
Birds4ever

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I've never had cage aggression issues with my Sunnies, Nandays & Jandays, and only have to watch my GCCs when they are breeding.

Reactions: Ark

Ark

Avenue Veteran
Oh, I missed the post about cage aggression issues. At 2.5 years old, I haven't experienced that with my Jenday.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The gold cap is a cutie. If I'm looking at the right recuse post, they say he's bonded to another bird and want them adopted out together..... Maybe ask if you can go and visit? I think they have a few different conures right now.

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
We have a Gold Capped Conure and we love her to bits! she CAN be loud, however she rarely is. If the neighbourhood Red Tailed Hawks decide to fly about she cranks it up to full volume, but otherwise only when she's excited, such as when she wants to join in on the conversation:) Usually she makes quiet vocalizations. Their voice is as loud as a sun conure but the difference I have noted is the frequency of vocalization is what sets them apart and that rings true for our household, ours is very quiet.

The minute a hint of cage aggression crops up, just rearrange the cage a bit and poof! it's gone. I was told 5/8" bar spacing was appropriate for a Gold Capped and this was the cage we got. At the time it was the biggest we could find with the right bar spacing. If you find a bigger cage let me know.

A&E Cage Co. Large Play Top Bird Cage & Reviews | Wayfair