• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do with this stick.

nacPhoenix

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Phoenix
The other day I was searching up all the trees in our yard, and seeing which ones are safe for birds. As it turns out, all of them are!
But.... 3/4 of them cant be peeled easily, and one of those (linden/tilia/basswood) could be partially peeled but only if it was a live branch. So, I cut off a stubby live branch and peeled it, and realized it would make an amazing shredding toy for a bird!

I've gotten all the outer bark off, so no more lichen, and I gave it a diluted bleach soak. Now it's been out in the sun for a few days and I realized that with all the small threads (I would supervise my bird playing with it to make sure he doesn't get stuck) it might set on fire in the oven!
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I can't see any signs of insects anywhere on the wood, or fungi. Would it be safe to give to a bird without baking?
By the way- the bird I'm thinking of won't be here for 5 months LOL
I'm trying to get as many toys and different perches to rotate around his cage as I can in the next 5 months to give him lots of enrichment :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It should be fine. What kind of bird are you getting?

nacPhoenix

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Phoenix
It should be fine. What kind of bird are you getting?
A parrotlet! I'd be worried about the little toes getting stuck in the fine strips. He'd probably be able to chew out, but just to be safe I'd supervise :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
That almost shreds like some of the dragonwood perches I have.