• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What the heck?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Yes, because I totally need something else to worry about :arghh:

So, Isadora has these three feathers on one wing that I noticed this morning that look like this, and this evening she's finally dropped one.

What the heck is this? They weren't like this a few days ago, and I've searched all over for the top half and haven't found anything. Did she snip these feathers? Do I have something else to panic over?

IMG_7446.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm it does look snipped but maybe she caught them on something and ripped them vs having actually snipped them? Keeping fingers crossed that it's a random occurrence vs her actually snipping them.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hmm it does look snipped but maybe she caught them on something and ripped them vs having actually snipped them? Keeping fingers crossed that it's a random occurrence vs her actually snipping them.
*stresses more*

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
*stresses more*
Aw no don't stress! She'll be able to sense that and will react to it. Hopefully it's really nothing and all will be well.
Can you maybe up her spraybaths and get her a new toy to destroy to change things up?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Aw no don't stress! She'll be able to sense that and will react to it. Hopefully it's really nothing and all will be well.
Can you maybe up her spraybaths and get her a new toy to destroy to change things up?
We usually do once a week or so, I'd hate to overdo it. But tomorrow I'm going to bring her into the bathroom with me while I shower, so we'll see how she does.

I recently put together a toy with some SS spoons, and she's... Well, she's using it to call for me :roflmao: I'll hear her scream, and then CLANGCLANGCLANG

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Those look snipped off to me. Could it be that the feathers feel funny as they’re loosening up and the birds worry them? I guess I’d keep an eye out for more clipped or barbered feathers in the new fall feather growth (not sure how to say that).

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
That cut looks too clean to be done by a beak. I could be wrong though. She could have had clipped wings before depending on when you got her and losing some hidden ones. (This is just an unlikely theory) don't stress too much though. Calm down and look around her cage, and where she plays to see if you could find a cause. Study her habits and see if she's doing this to her feathers. Just remember not to stress. She's not sick, or physically injured.
Edit: I thought about it a little more. Those feathers were molted not plucked. So if she's actually snipping them you should be to find more on her since it would be quite strange if she only snipped the feathers about to fall out.

Last edited:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That cut looks too clean to be done by a beak. I could be wrong though. She could have had clipped wings before depending on when you got her and losing some hidden ones. (This is just an unlikely theory) don't stress too much though. Calm down and look around her cage, and where she plays to see if you could find a cause. Study her habits and see if she's doing this to her feathers. Just remember not to stress. She's not sick, or physically injured.
Edit: I thought about it a little more. Those feathers were molted not plucked. So if she's actually snipping them you should be to find more on her since it would be quite strange if she only snipped the feathers about to fall out.
She barbers her shoulders a bit, but she leaves her wings alone. These feathers were on the top side of her wing - I'll attach a photo.

She was clipped previously, but I don't think these feathers would have been?

IMG_7451.jpeg

IMG_7450.jpeg

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
She barbers her shoulders a bit, but she leaves her wings alone. These feathers were on the top side of her wing - I'll attach a photo.

She was clipped previously, but I don't think these feathers would have been?

View attachment 434645

View attachment 434646
I see what you mean...this is where'd I tag someone but I don't know who to tag. The best I can say is to just keep her busy. If this is a new thing/a future habit then the best medicine is prevention.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I hope she’s not behave Isa Dora

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s what a feather naturally looks like if you cut only the quill.
my thought is those feathers were starting to come out and felt funny, and she fussed with them, breaking the quill. Because there wasn’t a cut across the barbules but only a break at the quill and then the barbules fan up beyond the broken quill.