• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What species of bird wouldn't you own?

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
Well Saemma's thread about your favorite bird made me curious about the opposite, a bird species that you know you don't think you would own. It seems like many have several different birds they own/love, but is there a species you feel you probably would not be compatible with? I would say there are many I wouldn't be able to handle. I definatley admire everyone who can though! Large macaws, indimidate me. I also have yet to meet a friendly Amazon. But my experience is limited to the couple I was around when young, they scared me and I wasen't allowed to mess with them. So they would probably be out. And the list could go on a bit. I think generally the extremely loud species known for screaming, wouldn't be something I could deal with now, but I still wonder if many years from now I will want a Goffin Cockatoo. I knew one when young and adored him.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've said it before, but I guess I can say it again. 'Zons and 'toos are not for me. I also can't have little birds because of the danger issue in my home. But, I've got nothing against them. :)

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
Also I did not mean to post this thread twice lol. :D I am computer challenged...

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have a friendly amazon. Really he wants to be friends with nearly everyone :)

I would have to say tiels and 'Toos. Not because I dislike them but due to allergies. I have a feeling if I tried to live with one I would stop breathing. Greys aren't easy, but not as bad for me as the others.

I also don't want anymore little birds here for their safety not because I don't like them. I would love a Linnie or two, but it's not a good idea.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Probably never another grey, or a cockatoo due to DUST, nor a parrotlet or anything smaller than Mabel or larger than Emma , this is due to safety reasons. :D

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I used to think I could never own a macaw, but after meeting a few sweet ones I don't think I can rule them out entirely. I doubt I would ever own a too. Also, budgies and cockatiels are not birds I could see myself having. I know they are very wonderful birds, but just not a species I can see myself owning.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I doubt I will ever have a species I don't already have right now, just for simplicity's sake. :)

FutureDVM

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ken
I would definitely say I can't see myself ever owning a cockatoo. I love interacting with them at the rescue but I wouldn't want one in my home. I probably wouldn't want a large macaw either.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Well once I thought I never wanted anything Bigger than an Alexandrine but fell in love with the blue front amazons when seeing one or the first time at a local bird show, even though I was concerned about the size over a year later I found an excellent breeder and picked out Giacomo when he was about 6 weeks old and got to visit him weekly until he was weaned. We have a wonderful bond and he is one of the sweetest birds I have ever met he loves a snuggle and a scratch, he never bites, loves to meet new people and is a bit of a circus clown:D at this stage in his life I trust him completely. I now would also love to have a b&g macaw but at this stage don't have the right set up and would like to build a couple of outdoor flights for the house birds to play in during the day before I would consider having one I just couldn't see such a large bird restricted to a cage and part of the house to fly in.

birds I know I wouldn't have at this stage are any more asiatic species (for me its noise factor, they are the loudest and have the more irritating vocalisations of all of my birds, my other birds don't really bother us noise wise) budgies, cockatiels and other tiny species. After Giacomo I love larger birds and am now very comfortable with them.

sonja

Jogging around the block
I swore I wouldn't take another Amazon, but I lied to myself because I took in another last weekend. I also won't take quakers.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Definite "no"?
No Conures, no Quakers, no Caiques and Lories (these two just have too much energy for me), no Amazons and Macaws (intimidated by these two).

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Lories because of the poop!! Hehe.
Since we're speaking practically (rather than hypothetically), and considering birds we already have, I'd say that would rule out almost almost anything other than the species I already have. I don't see myself being able to divide my time further for incompatible birds. Someday I'd like another small cockatoo that would get along well with Boris (no guarantees, I know, so I'll have to get a very young bird or an older rehome known to get along with other birds).

If I had NO birds right now, there aren't many species I would completely rule out.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I love all the little guys (anything smaller than a grey is "little" in my eyes :p ), but in my household, because of safety concerns, little guys only work as indoor aviary birds. If I outlive my current tiels, I'll probably adopt a bunch of not handtame budgies to put in their space, simply because there are so many that need homes.

I'm not tempted to adopt any species other than the ones I already have - the complications of adding species are just too great. If I were doing it over, knowing what I know now, I'd stick to not only one beak size, but one species/family of species (i.e., large macaws, or Amazons, or greys).

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Definitely not a Macaw because I have a large dusty cockatoo.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
No cockatiels.. especially males. Their noise drives me crazy, I know that sounds weird from a guy who has 9 macaws but that are at least quiet most of the time. I swear that male cockatiels are making some kind of noise from sunup to sunset. I take them into rescue but I do try and find a foster for them right away.
I also prefer not to have finches in the house. They make more mess than the macaws.