• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What makes tiels easy birds for newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ok this is where I jump in NO BIRD IS A STARTER BIRD..NO BIRD...tiels are wonderful little creatures all on their own..a child must be taught to care for any animal..and that is why so many birds ie budgies canaries finches tiels end up "let go" or languishing..i hate that term starter bird...I hardly consider sam a starter bird...shes my bird..as is my fletcher and the canaries and the budgies..come on people think about this...definitely some of the bigger birdies require more vet care a longer commitment etc...but please let us not say STARTER BIRD..that is like saying Sam isnt as worthy as a macaw..come on people THIS IS A BIRD BOARD ALL BIRDS ARE EQUAL HERE..this really got me mad

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ok ok ive calmed down..bad anne bad...phew..ok I take offense to that term starter bird but I do see where you are going with this..you dont want a bigger birdie that possibly you cant look after..but the same applies to any bird. stop it Anne be nice now.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
:D Actually I agree with you on the starter bird thing. But there's no getting around that tiels are a great introduction to birds. I think folks meant it that way.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
FOr me the reason why I suggest them is because tiels tend to be fun, active, easy, low up keep (in comparison), and hardy birds. If you buy from a reliable breeder they can be easily tamed and life long friends. Also their bites are less severe than others and tiels are laid back enough that they can be a good option for young children. All of the above is a comparison really. If you put a tiel and a conure side by side the two species are night and day. A tiel will put up with your fumbling while a conure (most of them) will simply tolerate it for a time and then push you into the direction that the bird wants to go. Also their noise level is usually managable. Tiels scream for various reasons (as do all birds) but their personality allows them to be trained to replace screaming with other sounds like purring or wooping or words which is a huge plus. Tiels ultimately do not require the time that another larger or more pushy bird would need. I think a lot of bird owners go into things with the idea of getting a bird who talks , who doesn't make a lot of mess, who doesn't scream all the time, who is cute and adorable and does cute and adorable things (just like on youtube!), doesn't bite, and assumes that every bird they come by is going to meet those standards. Truth be told the best talkers are parakeets (its true), the most entertaining (IMO) are conures or caiques, the only bird that doesn't scream is a stuffed one, biting is a going to happen I don't care how well trained a bird is, what is on youtube are the exceptions not the rules, and on the subject of cute and adorable... cockatoos do it for me but so do most other birds too. Sorry for the rant. Plain and simple tiels would be my suggestion to people because tiels can meet most of their expectations (males) and in the sad case that the potential owner decides that birds aren't their thing tiels are easily rehomed and easily adopted at rescues. Its a sad truth, but one I think it's wise to look at. Not to say that every newbi bird owner is like this, I know I wasn't and neither were any of you (i think). I'd personally rather see a rescue filled with tiels because of the lower cost of vet care and boarding and general upkeep than a rescue filled with large parrots who bankrupt the business and are generally harder to rehome. I think owning a large parrot is a responsibility and a privelage and should be entered into as such.

Sorry for the rant.

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
IMHO--There are no "starter birds" any more than there are "starter mammals" or "starter fish" etc..

Having said that, we have a tiel. He is our first and currently only bird. The kids have seen and meet bigger birds at bird club events but they are intimidated by anything bigger than our tiel except a couple of greys that we met. And that's OK. We are not ready for anything else right now. The 10 year old and I were talking and he thinks that "we should research african greys and maybe see about adopting one in a few years." He wants to read the book "Alex and Me" to start his research and for a book report for school. Very smart on his part. So for us, our tiel is a great introduction to birds and a wonderful addition to our family. He is sort of a "starter bird" in the better sense of the phrase.

Last edited:

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
What about starter husbands? :p

I think people recommend them because they are not as noisy as some other birds, price is fairly low for them and the starter equipment and they are fairly calm compared to other parrots in general.

Starter bird could be appropriate as people who have one enter their life are suddenly addicted to bird care and start a larger flock :D.

Look I said something optimistic for once, mark it on the calendar! :D lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.