• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What makes tiels easy birds for newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I don't have tiels, but I was just curious. Often when people ask what kind of bird they should get as a first time bird owner, tiels are advocated. What is the reason they are easier than other kinds of parrots? Maybe it's a dumb question.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
they are more often hand feed then lovies making them tamer and they have a little of the cuddles or velcroness of a bigger too often the male talks but they are not that big and easier to control or up keep of the bigger birds:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I don't have tiels, but I was just curious. Often when people ask what kind of bird they should get as a first time bird owner, tiels are advocated. What is the reason they are easier than other kinds of parrots? Maybe it's a dumb question.
They are just easy going. Even if you don't hold them every day, they remain handleable. They are usually not overly loud. Outgoing, social tiels will go to other people. IF they do bite, it can hurt, but it does not hurt like a bite from a large parrot. Their size is less intimidating. I could go on and on. Two of mine are rehomes. Poupon came from my best friend when she passed away. He was loved and cared for. Pegasus came as a rescue. He had been kept in a closet. Both can be handled and are very sweet. Pegasus remains shy of hands but likes to come out on his own and likes me to talk to him. There is a real sweetness to them.

Vicki

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
No Question is ever dumb (well unless its from me I can come up with some good ones LOL)

but Tiels make great 1st time birds because they're easy going, laid back and Pretty much Go with the flow

They're not high strung like say Budgies , they're not needy like the bigger parrots can be

if its a female tiel you can expect her to be silent pretty much all the time there are exceptions some are loud, some do talk but for the most part they're very quiet

I often forget I have a cage of females because they're so quiet

most are easy to tame even if they're parent raised or Aviary birds

but They're just like any other bird They will bite just as fast as you can blink, They do get bad habits if "babied" like the bigger birds - like Screaming, plucking etc.

but all in all they're just a very mellow bird

I don't tell many people (mainly close friends and people who can take jokes) But I've often compared Tiels to a pot head -they're one in the same on the Mellow , Laid back scale

but not all tiels are My boys will get into sprits that I swear some one fed them a bag of sugar - reminds me of a hyper child they'll climb and hang upside down from their cage and just run around bouncing off walls(not actually of course) but just being hyper playing then you'll see them a little later and they're "stoned" Just all mellowed out Preening, chirping or sleeping or eating lol

they're great birds I am glad I got into them.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I can't believe that I forgot about this, but I took care of a tiel right out of college (many, many moons ago). And I remember being so scared of him. And each day, I'd have to start all over...I mean, by the end of the day, I would get so he would come on my hand, and act like he was fine, but then the next morning, it would be back to square one. Almost like he would forget me overnight! Anyway, birds had no fascination for me back then, I guess, since I'd forgotten all about him. But I do recall that it was not a pleasant experience, and that they weren't easy birds at all, and I thought they weren't very smart. (sorry! don't mean to offend anyone. It was probably me that was dumb!) I guess somewhere in my subconscience, that idea has stuck with me. I think they are much harder to keep than greys or mealies!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
And each day, I'd have to start all over...I mean, by the end of the day, but then the next morning, it would be back to square one. Almost like he would forget me overnight!
Well you tried. lol

I just think they are great cause they love scritches, reasonably priced, beautiful and have crestys!:D

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I can't remember that I forgot about this, but I took care of a tiel right out of college (many, many moons ago). And I remember being so scared of him. And each day, I'd have to start all over...I mean, by the end of the day, I would get so he would come on my hand, and act like he was fine, but then the next morning, it would be back to square one. Almost like he would forget me overnight! Anyway, birds had no fascination for me back then, I guess. Since I"d forgotten all about him. But I do recall that it was not a pleasant experience, and I thought they weren't very smart. (sorry! don't mean to offend anyone. It was probably me that was dumb!)

Lol noo it's not you I've met some who just wasn't all there - they couldn't of been They just seemed a bit off their rockers

but don't feel bad I've had several of mine for close to 3 years and they still want nothing to do with me and think I'm going to eat them or something (I keep telling them I don't even like chicken so why would i want a cockatiel for dinner but it doesn't help lol

but back in the day - the proper care for birds wasn't well known - I remember my grandma having a Parrot I want to think it was a Grey, lived in a small round cage (like Tweety does on the cartoon only it was bigger than that but looked just like it) and ate Wild bird seed and of course when my grandmas kids who still lived at home when they should of been out on their own drank They thought it was funny to share their booze with the bird, The house was always being smoked in, The bird and cage sat on the end table at the end of the couch and the living room was always dark

I can't remember why they ended up getting rid of it but It did live a very long life - amazingly enough

but proper care just wasn't known back then so no one bothered to "tame" birds back then they were "decorations" more or less

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
The biggest difference for me is that they do not tend to bite like lovebirds will - and if they DO bite, they do not put the pressure behind it like a lovebird.
One time, I was trying to put Kessie to bed and she did not want to go so she opened her beak as a "fake out" and I persisted so she bit me, but the pressure was nothing - more startling than anything.
Now Jellybean, being a very territorial and hormonal female lovie will LUNGE at me from across the cage and bite and bite HARD!! I keep telling her not to be such a little wench but she doesn't listen - typical female! lol She has not broken skin yet, but HAS left bruises. So I don't recommend lovies as first birds and especially not for kids.
I also 2nd what Kristy posted! lol

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
They are great starter birds especially for children, because they are so laid back and social, and not tiny enough to get hurt easy..I had one that did bite hard some years back, but he came from a pet store and didn't know where he come from before that ,nor how old he was, but he came around, all my others I have gotton as babies and they are such dolls, not hyper like a parakeet..( I love parakeets, so don't get me wrong)..I am afraid of larger birds, but heck at one time when only had parakeets, I was afraid of tiels..:hehe:

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Yes, they are very good starter birds, and a cockatiel was my first bird. I got my first cockatiel (Snickers), when I was 13, and she was very very easy to care for. I now have a rountine down with my flock, so it is not that hard to care for them all!:) I went from 1 fid to 11 fids in 5 years, hehe!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Do they live a long time?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They are very easy going, gentle, sweet natured, and very cuddly. Every once in a while Squeeky will give a soft love nip but that is the most use he gets out of his beak in that aspect. They are not normally aggressive either. They really are a bird that likes to be with you and know where you are around the house. They are normally really good around people and have big personalities in a small body. This type of bird is definitely a companion bird and has a special place in my heart.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
They are very easy going, gentle, sweet natured, and very cuddly. Every once in a while Squeeky will give a soft love nip but that is the most use he gets out of his beak in that aspect. They are not normally aggressive either. They really are a bird that likes to be with you and know where you are around the house. They are normally really good around people and have big personalities in a small body. This type of bird is definitely a companion bird and has a special place in my heart.
I LOVE Squeeky! Turned me around about my attitude towards 'tiels.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
So, Are you thinking about getting a new fid??:hehe:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
So, Are you thinking about getting a new fid??:hehe:
I wish, but already my two birds take up so much of my time, and with family and work, I can only split myself in so many pieces!

But I'm glad to dispel my phobia of 'tiels that I've had for so long.

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
I'm so happy to hear 'Tiels are so laid back. At first I didn't really consider them, but with my kids being so interested in our foster... well, I am starting to think a 'tiel might be "just right" for us.

Make no mistake.. if we did get a 'tiel I would be the one caring for him or her..and supervising the kids... but I'm hoping to get a bird that they can pet gently under supervision..and that won't be so 'scary' to them.

Tracy
mom to Thomas (8yrs old and mildly autistic)
and Georgia (3.5 yrs who gives me lots of 'tween attitude already..boy are we in trouble!)

foster-fid Jewel (3yr old CAG)

Status
Not open for further replies.