• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What kind of variation?

Marina Engan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marina Iren Engan
Regarding the color I asked about... I have been told that his parents have had chicks like this every time. And the color doesn´t change as they grow up.
I don't know if it is called something special... and it doesn't matter... I'm just happy with my new boy :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Regarding the color I asked about... I have been told that his parents have had chicks like this every time. And the color doesn´t change as they grow up.
I don't know if it is called something special... and it doesn't matter... I'm just happy with my new boy :)
That's interesting. I wish srtiels was on here (one of our members who hasn't been on in a long time). She would find this really interesting and is very knowledgeable when it comes to mutations, etc. Maybe I'll try to PM her....

Marina Engan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marina Iren Engan
Does anybody know what kind of Harlequin variation this is? The orange color appears on its crest, forehead, wings, belly and tail feathers.

View attachment 244468 View attachment 244469
View attachment 244470

FINALLY!

I've got the answer!
This is a message I got in a Facebook forum:

"Orange patches in the head and even down the neck outside the normal cheek patch are uncommon but not unheard of. It is typically due to a hormonal response. The older the bird gets and closer to sexual maturity, you may see an increase in this orange spotting outside the normal cheek. It may or may not moult out. It is common in specific lines, I have a line that does it and the orange flare can go even into the body on my lutino male. He's perfectly healthy."

This sounds quite right to me, and I am happy that I've got an explanation. Now it will be interesting to see if the coloration fades or not.
he most important thing about him is that he is a lovely, healthy and funny bird.
And he's happy :tiel:
And I'm happy with my flock :feedpigeons: