• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of trees and branches are safe for our birds???

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Hello everyone:

I live in Canada, ON and was wondering what kind of tree branches I can give my birds that are safe. They are re-fencing our backyards so they are also removing some trees and branches. I have a couple Maple branches I have pulled from the pile, can I use them??? I also read somewhere ppl soak and put these branches in the oven and bake them??? Exactly what do I have to do with these to make them completely safe???

Thanx...Kim :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Bump

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There aren't really too many dangerous varieties of trees here in Canada. Because of the climate most trees are variety of softwood. Maple is fine. What your concerns are is if and how often were these trees sprayed with pesticide. That is the danger.

Small branches/twigs washed and baked in the oven are fine. I need big honkin branches. I just power wash them and cook them in the sun for a few days.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
My guys have silver maple perches in their cage. They were from a tree my neighbor planted so I could confirm they weren't sprayed with anything. I didn't really go crazy with washing them, just diluted vinegar and a scrub brush.

Parrot Hotel & Shop

Hit the Road
Real Name
Stephanie
Hello everyone:

I live in Canada, ON and was wondering what kind of tree branches I can give my birds that are safe. They are re-fencing our backyards so they are also removing some trees and branches. I have a couple Maple branches I have pulled from the pile, can I use them??? I also read somewhere ppl soak and put these branches in the oven and bake them??? Exactly what do I have to do with these to make them completely safe???

Thanx...Kim :)
I boil and bake my branches or any other wood that I use :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I use Crepe Myrtle from the two trees I have in my yard. I wash and rinse them and bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees. My husband also sands some of the rougher spots off.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
LOL well for the smaller ones I have a BIG stock pot - literally on my stove ;)

For the bigger branches I'm sure you can use one of those turkey deep fryer pots outside haha - haven't done that yet lol
I was imagining one of those old cast-iron bath tubs and that you had a fire going under it. :lol:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Could this be made into a sticky? I am always looking for a list of safe woods. You'd think I'd have them memorized by now. :confused:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I put my branches/things I collect from the yard in the oven at 400 degreesF for 30-40 mins.
I personally have used pine from my yard and magnolia branches. Pine cones are also faves..you can wash with some water/vinegar mix to kill buggies and bake those too.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
To kill bugs you can boil, bake, or wash in vinegar/water solution (50/50 or 75/25). I didn't want to waste a new forum on my question so I'll ask here since this forum is basically on the same track as my question. Is there any other branch washing solutions? All those listed are wonderful but I'm just curious because I'm ordering manzanita branches from a lady in California ranging from 25in-45in. Their grown right in her backyard. She is absolutely wonderful and the most I paid is 40.00 for the 45in branch. Quite a steal for all that I ordered. Plus she tries her hardest to save you on shipping. Any way seeing as big as the branches are length-wise I guess the most practical solution would be to wash in vinegar/water right?

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
We have black walnut trees, so every year the squirrels plant more. They come up as one straight trunk. And they grow FAST! I was going to harvest and save some of them, but sometimes black walnut trees are on the safe list, and sometimes they are not. I wish I knew for sure.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have Laurel Leaf Willow branches ready to put in my cages but there isn't much information on this type of Willow ...so are they like any other Willow and safe to use ..any info would be great :)

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I use arbutus branches for my guys. To clean them I soak them with vinegar and then bake for around 40 minutes at 400.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We have a TON of tall bayberry shrubs around our complex. Sometimes the neighborhood kids play on them & a branch will break off, so I trim them up & drag those upstairs for Buzzard. They're way too big to bake, but I do soak & scrub with vinegar in the guest tub, then rinse & let 'em dry. They're on the safe list, but I wish I knew the different hardnesses of the safe woods, because Bayberry seems kind of soft or brittle compared to his regular perches? It's also cheaper than his regular perches (free!) but I just wonder if Magnolia might last a bit longer?